2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been like this for a while now... months. everytime I get ice from my automatic ice maker frigerator, it smells like garlic. and when I put in coolers with cokes, the coke cans smeel like garlic. whats the deal?????????????????????????????????????????????......JJ

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Try this

some older units have a drip pan, locate and clean it out (should be done twice a year). Use a box of baking soda in the unit to help remove smells but if they are too bad you may not be able to get that fresh smell because they have styrofoam to insulate. Look and see if there is a water filter on the unit and replace.

·
Charter Member
5,935 Posts
What about your tap water at the faucet...any odd color or smell that you haven't noticed before? Is this city water or well water or what?

Maybe it is just plain ol' SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE! :)

Mike

·
Glub-Glub-Glub
854 Posts
dang that smell!

Change the filter, clean the pan then

Old hint from Heloise
take several pieces of old newspaper 4-5 pages .........1 set for each shelf in the frig.....thoroughly soak the newspapaer with fresh water (dripping wet)
place one set on each shelf of the frig and freezer, leave in for 24 hours then remove and dispose of the paper.
If there is still odor in the frig, you got MAJOR problems.

·
Charter Member
5,935 Posts
JJ, back to your original post...does the 'fridge stink or is it just the ice that stinks? That's why I asked about your tap water. If the water supply is OK, then your problem should be either the water line or the ice maker. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Take out some ice and let it melt in a bowl or glass. Does it smell like garlic. It still sounds to me like the ice maker may be the problem and either needs cleaning or replacing.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Mike

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the waterline today and gawd o mighty it was clogged full of ****. My fridge smells fine (well not when the milk goes bad) its the ice. it might have to do somethign with the city water with all the chlorine type cleanin junk they use. when the ice is forzen its has just a little bit of sent but when it melts..... it SMELLS.....................JJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts