2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has Allstate for homeowners and also a policy w/TWIA, and had her entire privacy fence blown down. Estimates to replace range around $7000. Her deductible for the fence is $2500! And after they depreciated the value of the fence for age and what not, she gets nothing, notta, zilch. What a freaking racket. You pay all this money for all this gd insurance for years and years with no claims whatsover, then when you need them, you get bent over and sent packing with a pocket full of jack shiite.

I can imagine how many thousands of other people are dealing with the same type of treatment. Those with relatively minor (although costly) damage are really getting the shaft. I hope those that sustained total losses are fairing better.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Allstate has been praticing that kind of fraud for over 30 years that I know of. I used em once over 25 years ago and THAT will NEVER happen again.

Bigwater

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
I will probably get the same treatment tomorrow. I have a patio cover that was jacked up. Needed to be replaced before the storm, just hadn't gotten to it yet. It was still useable and only had a couple leaks, which in turn, created some rotted wood.. My deductable is $1000 so... I don't see me getting anything now either...

Can you refuse a claim on your insurance if it is not worth it??? (to avoid the premium going up)

·
Banned
206 Posts
I think the only way you can come out at least partialy whole is to have your house completely destroyed. I have heard the same story from every one I know who had damage, even one person who has a place on West End. It's still there, but screwed up bad and he had Hurricane, windstorm, flood and homeowners. They are all saying it was storm surge that did the damage and he did not have storm surge protection. I bet even if he did, they would say something else was wrong. It's highway robbery that these companies get to do this to their customers. I was with Allstate for years, but recently made a jump with auto to Progressive. The premium was half the price of Allstate. They all screw you in the end on a claim, so I'm now looking for the best rates I can find on everything. I can't wait to get my homeowners notice so I can shop around and tell my agent where he can shove it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Jeff, I hate to hear that.

I guess we are lucky, Nationwide has taken VERY good care of us during the process.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, guess everyone's getting screwed. The patio cover also blew off, plus the fence fell and smashed the picnic table and the jungle gym thing and the swing set. Even with homeowners, flood and TWIA, not one thing is being covered by the insurance. Un freakin believable.

I take that back, they did send her a check in the mail for $1.00. (swear to God!)

Allstate, you're in good hands! Pshhh! They must be talking about the hands on both shoulders from the backside.

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
its the twia that is screwing people, not your insurance company so much...they are trying to swindle their way out of replacing my roof because its not 51% damaged

if hail had damaged it (not the stupid wind)my regular insurance would of kicked in and replaced it no questions asked, but since the twia in charge...im sure i will get screwed

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Allstate

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Allstate since the storm......I have Farmers and my adjuster was here four days after the storm....I think Allstate will lose a lot of customers after this disaster.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have Horace Mann and the adjuster came by yesterday. Roof damage, ceiling damage from water leaking in when shingles blew off, fence down, and tree down. Roof estimate alone is $16,000 (new one) which I am having done starting tomorrow. The adjuster saw the estimate and took a picture. He did not give any details but said the insurance co would contact me in 2-3 weeks. Anyone else dealt with this insurance co.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I always assumed "replacement cost" was what you got when your home was insured. My parents had a fire in their home and lost most of the upstairs. With USAA they got everything replaced for what it would cost today with no depreciation. For eg. if they had a 27 inch television that was 20 years old the replacement would be a new 27 inch television. Maybe it's different with fire or such but that still stinks for those who need to replace older things.

·
Registered
696 Posts
When I had my garage fire, my tools were depreciated if over 6 months old but when I replaced them they paid the difference between the depreciated value and replacement value. I just had to show reciepts for it proving it had been replaced. basically, if you don't replace it you get what it was worth and if you do they pay the replacement cost. Are you sure your not missing something in translation? Storm may be way different than fire. Might be worth asking anyway. That was my first experience w/ insurance but lucky I had very nice guys that explained every detail of the process as we went. Anyway, good luck folks. It's not a fun process. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through a claim right now.

later, biggreen

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
AAA

I have AAA and my house has major damage. I called them day after IKE and they had the adjuster call me the next day and say he would be there by that Friday. Have not heard from him again! I call the 800 # and they give me the same story. They only remind me that my deductable is 3% @ $6,250.00!!!

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
same process... almost all policies say, and the carriers stick to the verbage in that they only owe Actual Cash Value on Replacement Cost Policies until items are repaired or replaced

even on Replacement Cost policies, there may be some items in which depreciation is unrecoverable.

A lot of people save a lot of money on premiums by only carrying Actual Cash Value policies... unfortunately you get what you pay for in these instances

Also, it isn't over until it is over. Go to your agent and have them explain the questionable provisions on the policy and try to understand it before proceeding to make sure you have a legitimate discrepancy. Get your own estimates and ask for a reinspection if you feel you have a legitimate complaint on the price or scope of repairs on COVERED items.

I am the 3rd adjuster that looked at the same roof in Mission, TX recently and by sticking with the claim process the homeowner is coming out on top. Good luck

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
We have a 2% deductible which is pretty standard so I expected my deductible to be about $4,000.00 and it was.

Yeah it sucks but I've known the deductible was 2% since buying the policy.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
and be patient, everyone is trying to keep everyone happy and foks tend to say what the person on the other end of the line wants to hear... bottom line, there aren't enough property adjusters in the world to handle this storm in a real timely fashion. You are much better served waiting 6 weeks for a good experienced property adjuster than to have a six week wonder walking your roof...

·
Underwater Point & Click
1,046 Posts
Pocboy said:
"replacement cost"
I was about to say... I made sure to ask my agent about this when I got my current policy as I knew someone who was screwed from Tropical Storm Allison a few years back. Everything insured for replacement costs, no depreciation to it.

When I called my agent, she said if I have any problems to call her and they will speak with the adjuster, but they also made a note on my claim about it being replacement cost for everything, So I shouldn't have any problems.

I have Nationwide, although they are taking their sweet time in getting to me (gonna have a look Oct 11th), I tell em when they call me, that there are plenty of more damaged homes than mine, I can wait.

Cool thing is that our Mortgage company (USAA) called me to tell me they will postpone payments for 3 months... oh yeah, by the way, I am 3 months ahead on my payments, so that works out good.

I have the 2% deductable, so about $3k from the replacement costs. Speaking of which... anyone know about what the roof would run on a 2000 sqft house would run? I has a pretty aggressive pitch, no gables.... Guess I need to get a quoter-fella out. Anyone recommend someone in the Katy area?

·
Typical Texan
8,415 Posts
Pocboy said:
I always assumed "replacement cost" was what you got when your home was insured. My parents had a fire in their home and lost most of the upstairs. With USAA they got everything replaced for what it would cost today with no depreciation. For eg. if they had a 27 inch television that was 20 years old the replacement would be a new 27 inch television. Maybe it's different with fire or such but that still stinks for those who need to replace older things.
I have USAA also and you have to have the replacement cost rider added to the base policy for what you describe to happen. It's super cheap, 50 bucks a year cheap. So, it's pretty much a no brainer to get it.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
KILT610 said:
I've heard nothing but horror stories about Allstate since the storm......I have Farmers and my adjuster was here four days after the storm....I think Allstate will lose a lot of customers after this disaster.
That is what the companies like Allstate and State Farm want. They don't want to have the risk of insuring homes on the coast. They quit writing paper on houses down here if you're with in 1/2 mile of the water. No wind storm or flood ( of course). Rates are sky high for us oldies that keep hanging on with the same policies. Folks in "Tornado Alley" pay about 1/4 what we do on the coast. Its a racket with the companies and with the State board. Too much payola like with Freddy and Fannie.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts