2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Port Aransas/Aransas Pass area
I’m looking for a little guidance here.
it appears some home owners and a particular bait/boat rental business are putting up no wake zone signs in the shrimp boat channel, expecting them to be official? Yes, the guy is standing on the dock waving his arms and flippin birds.
Would it be courteous to slow to idle ? Sure, but where does this end?! Does every new house and business on the shrimp channel going to expect the same,
to the point of idling the entire way?

In the ICW a skiff is under way coming towards me and this guy is fully expecting me to throw no wake. I know this because he is waving his arms in the same fashion everyone does. Again, I agree it’s courteous to not effect anyone with your wake. On a busy weekend is it really reasonable to expect every boat to slow to no wake speed in the shrimp channel and the ICW.
I used to run a 17’ skiff in a those areas. I get it but I never expected anyone to slow while in the ICW or shrimp channel because of my boat and tracking choices.
What’s legal?
What’s “reasonably” courteous.

·
Registered
591 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO

Florida started down this path.. giving into the waterway homeowners who wanted no wake.. eventually the homeowners got smart and deemed most of the state a manatee zone..

if angry homeowner doesn't like wake .. he ca buy a lift for his boat or he can sell his house and move one street back (no wakes there) .. one mans personal preference for his 100yards of water way does not get to effect 10s of thousands of people using the coast..

only a narcissist would expect the world bend to their will like that

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO

Florida started down this path.. giving into the waterway homeowners who wanted no wake.. eventually the homeowners got smart and deemed most of the state a manatee zone..

if angry homeowner doesn't like wake .. he ca buy a lift for his boat or he can sell his house and move one street back (no wakes there) .. one mans personal preference for his 100yards of water way does not get to effect 10s of thousands of people using the coast..

I agree with Marker 54. This is getting ridiculous and is starting to be like the rest of politics in this country. Meaning a select few want the majority to accommodate them and bend to their ways. Absurd!

I’d create a bigger wake for them. And that ain’t just the scotch talking 😈

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,380 Posts
Make a monster wake donut back to them and ask if they need help. When they mention no wake ask who is the policing authority enforcing the official ordinance?. When he can't answer let him know that it is unfortunate that he can't answer because the policing authority for enforcing the harassment of sportsman on the water is TPWD and that you will call them for him and make a report in his honor. Mention his address which you can easily get from Google Earth while you are there.. then come back with a wake boat and wake boarders with giant speaker cans and let her rip. Wake surfers even better. Then let's have a Trump parade wake-athon with Jetskis invited to jump wakes. Airboats convention right out front is next.

We own a house on the canal in Rockport and have for 30 years. Tell em to stick it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
it appears some home owners and a particular bait/boat rental business are putting up no wake zone signs in the shrimp boat channel, expecting them to be official? Yes, the guy is standing on the dock waving his arms and flippin birds.
Would it be courteous to slow to idle ? Sure, but where does this end?! Does every new house and business on the shrimp channel going to expect the same,

In the ICW a skiff is under way coming towards me and this guy is fully expecting me to throw no wake. I know this because he is waving his arms in the same fashion everyone does. Again, I agree it’s courteous to not effect anyone with your wake. On a busy weekend is it really reasonable to expect every boat to slow to no wake speed in the shrimp channel and the ICW.
I used to run a 17’ skiff in a those areas. I get it but I never expected anyone to slow while in the ICW or shrimp channel because of my boat and tracking choices.
What’s legal?
Where is this shrimp boat channel.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
I agree. No one reasonably would expect to slow down in the ICW or Shrimp boat channel. I am not sure where that guy is from, but if he is rolling the bone to everyone that goes by, some other hothead is gonna stop eventually and give him a piece of their mind. I've seen that kinda thing play out from time to time. It won't be me.....I'll just keep rolling by on plane trying to get to that next fish! :)

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
If your wake causes damage or injury to property or a person could you be held liable? It would be up to the courts to decide. The one filling the claim would have to have evidence it was your wake. I think it boils down to having respect for one's property ect...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your wake causes damage or injury to property or a person could you be held liable? It would be up to the courts to decide. The one filling the claim would have to have evidence it was your wake. I think it boils down to having respect for one's property ect...
Ok…but that doesn’t address the questions.
Can I create my own “no wake zone” signs then demand compliance?
Can I run down the ICW in my 17’ skiff expecting everyone I pass to slow to no wake?
Am I disrespecting someone’s property because they decided it’s a good idea to build on a highway then demand a neighborhood speed limit?
or
Should I expect a semi truck on ih10 to yield to me every time he passes because I’m in a Honda Civic
I don’t want be “that guy” but these scenarios seem unreasonable. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,380 Posts
You cannot create your own no wake zone. As I typed above.....there has to be an ordinance and an authority to enforce. If those aren't listed on the sign it is a nothing and roll on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sgrem points out that an individual does not have jurisdiction to create a now wake zone in a public waterway like the ICW. I don't think a canal development would fall under that limitation since it is technically private, at least the land underneath. Politically, probably the best way to legally establish a now wake zone is to either incorporate, pass law, and establish a police force to enforce it. Or as Marker points out, identify some protected species and enlist state or federal officials to create a defacto no wake zone. But regardless of this, you are responsible for any damage or injury caused by the wake your boat creates. Its one of the reasons big ships slow down in the ship channel--if their wake throws a skiff up on the rock and someone is injured, the shipping company is responsible for damages and the captain is legally liable for any injury caused.

Bottom line, just be careful and be polite. If someone is waving at you along the ICW, wave back and have a nice day.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I live by PSC range and am wondering when the folks in the $1M homes will start complaining about the noise EVEN though they moved/built knowing the range has been there for something like 40+ years. I bet its only a matter of time...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You cannot create your own no wake zone. As I typed above.....there has to be an ordinance and an authority to enforce. If those aren't listed on the sign it is a nothing and roll on.
This. And common sense helps, if that still exists. If you’re driving a 50’ offshore boat down the ICW at 30 knots and see a small skiff heading towards you, you should probably slow down so your 4’ wake doesn’t wreak havoc. Just an idea. But if I was in the offshore boat I also wouldn’t worry about the houses people decided to build on the ICW and then put up their own private (unenforceable) no-wake signs.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

What’s legal?
I guess it depends on the boat you are operating. 50+ foot sportfisher? I would and have been on boats that do, those little skiffs he rents and other boats getting bait get rocked pretty good. Bay boat I wouldn't even look at him cruising by.

As stated, you're responsible for your wake.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Common sense would rule the day but it always seems to get in the way of having things 100% your way all the time ... private citizens shouldn't be allowed to throw up no wake signs as they please and expect compliance but a little courtesy goes a long way ... on both sides.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Common sense would rule the day but it always seems to get in the way of having things 100% your way all the time ... private citizens shouldn't be allowed to throw up no wake signs as they please and expect compliance but a little courtesy goes a long way ... on both sides.

Yeah, if i lived on access road on an interstate highway, would I put up a slow down sign on interstate to tell drivers to slow down in front of my house and expect them to obey it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Aransas Pass Police boat patrols the shrimp channel, was stopped by them for a safety check 2 weekends ago. The Aransas Pass city council had an agenda item several months ago to make the shrimp channel a no wake zone its length within the city limits. It was tabled a the time. I was stopped at the west side of the bait stand so I assume the AP territorial limits extend at least to there.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Years ago, a group of houses along the ICW put one of those signs up. I regularly fished with a guide who lived back into one of the canals in the "neighborhood" that put up the signs. He thought it was bunk and when we left the ramp a half a mile away, if we were going by there, he would blaze by as though the signs were not there. He said they had no authority and that the owners on the ICW had tried to get all the other owners (not on the ICW) to get on board with their plan. Few did

·
Bfrog2
52 Posts
Ok…but that doesn’t address the questions.
Can I create my own “no wake zone” signs then demand compliance?
Can I run down the ICW in my 17’ skiff expecting everyone I pass to slow to no wake?
Am I disrespecting someone’s property because they decided it’s a good idea to build on a highway then demand a neighborhood speed limit?
or
Should I expect a semi truck on ih10 to yield to me every time he passes because I’m in a Honda Civic
I don’t want be “that guy” but these scenarios seem unreasonable. Am I wrong?
No you are not wrong. I’m on a canal and respect my and other canals no wake areas, official or not. The Shrimp Boat Channel? The ICW? That’s like moving next to the airport and *****ing about airplane noise. If you don’t like heavy traffic don’t live next to the freeway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts