2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
All my friends say.....
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the same spot today as yesterday in an attempt to catch the Tilapia I caught yesterday.

Did not catch that fish, but I did catch the biggest Bass I have ever caught.

Not sure of the weight but it was about 22 inches long and healthy.

It's kind of hard to take a photo by yourself holding the fish, but I got most of it in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where is it that you are fishing? Looks like some type of community pond/tank? Great looking fish!

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you catch a Tilapia, kill it. They are an invasive species!

Prohibited Exotic Species

The organisms listed on this page are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department. For more information, contact Joedy Gray, (512) 389-8037.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/

·
Banned
920 Posts
Hawaiians consider talapia trash fish.

But they eat jacks and mullet over there...

Ought to tell you somethin.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Nice bass, and take all those tilapia home and eat 'em, that are tasty!

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
I had my environmental science class seining Flatbank Creek at Hwy 6 in Missouri City a couple weeks ago. In addition to spotted gar, carp, bluegills and various minnows and shiners we got blue tilapia, plecostomus (sucker mouth catfish from pet stores) and apple snails which are all invasive species. Yeah, we've got a problem or at least our native species do. We brought our catch back to the lab aquaria for analysis and they became a tourist attraction for the school. The most frequent comment by students and faculty was, "Yummmmm tilapia, can we eat them?" The second was various comments about how excited they were that we had this tasty exotic fish in neighborhood ponds and creeks. Value judgement is a funny thing, the state hates them and folks love them. I think the sunfish probably side with the state.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What did you hook that tilapia on? I spear the heck out of them with my polespear in the San Marcos river, but they wont touch anything on hook and line.

Hildo I thought the tilapia trash fish thing was hilarious when i was in Hawaii. They eat every part of just about every creature in the sea, but wont touch farmraised tilapia at the supermarket. People there think that all tilapia come from waters similar to the Alawai which is the polluted canal running through Oahu(its packed with tilapia/and very polluted)

·
Banned
920 Posts
Hildo I thought the tilapia trash fish thing was hilarious when i was in Hawaii. They eat every part of just about every creature in the sea, but wont touch farmraised tilapia at the supermarket. People there think that all tilapia come from waters similar to the Alawai which is the polluted canal running through Oahu(its packed with tilapia/and very polluted)
All I know is Tusitala, this big ole happy go lucky Hawaiian German guy that worked at the Crouchin Lion with us referred to Talapia and Opihi in the same sense if you know what I mean!

:rotfl:

·
All my friends say.....
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It hit a flute fished on the bottom. It hit it on about three casts before I was able to catch it. The Tilapia that is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
talapia

I saw them on that dirtiest jobs show. in california thier raised on striper farms. The stripers are fed food and the talapia eat the striper sh-t. yummy.

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,738 Posts
My mom loves tilapia...cooks it all the time. You can find them around here? Would save her alot of money if I could regularly catch them. haha. nasty that they eat poop though. Note to self: dont eat the tilapia.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts