2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like dogs a lot more than people.
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to go off of 1375 (New Waverly) in the Sam Houston national forest and target shoot all day about 15 years or so ago.
Heard that you can't do that anymore, so I called their number and the lady verified what I didn't want to hear.
Absolutely NO target shooting in the whole forest area.

I had heard it was because of all the shot up trash left behind that the forest folks just got tired of it and pulled the plug.
Just a dang shame! sad2sm

·
Banned
10,421 Posts
Yep, trash left on the beach is the same thing. My kids and I always bring extra large trash bags when we go to the beach and pick up all we can that's been left by the freakin scum. Really burns my hide that scum are allowed.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That sucks I lived in Phelps for a year and used to just go shooting in the National Forest all the time. I had a game warden come check on me once. That was in the late 80's.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
I used to shoot a bunch at the park "range" just west of lake conroe. Place became an absolute junk yard. People dumping all kinds of trash. TV's, propane tanks, household furniture, and even household garbage. Plus, the range became dangerous. Left early more than once after drunks showed up to try to bump fire various weapons.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Yep, trash left on the beach is the same thing. My kids and I always bring extra large trash bags when we go to the beach and pick up all we can that's been left by the freakin scum. Really burns my hide that scum are allowed.
We do too, since I take the utility trailer we have plenty of room. "Our" area of beach is noticeably cleaner then most of the rest of the beach. And some of our group have been guilty of doing a little target practice out there too. :)

A

·
Registered
467 Posts
We were regulars out there. Used to love that place, wish I had all the money back I spent on lead back in the day.

I have many stories of unsafe shooters, and one injury by toilet!

We were out there one day and two guys showed up with a full auto belt fed 50 cal. The ground looked like there was an invisible high speed tiller tearing it up! He also had a full auto supressed .22 that would empty 30 or 50 rounds crazy quick.

I remember when they closed it

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sign of the times

As teens we practiced there too. A little ways past Kelly's Pond there was an old logging road to the left. A few hundred yards down that was a small natural forest pond - we affectionately called it "Lead Tree Pub". Fired many a rounds there and the warden and ranger were cool with it as we bothered nobody and vise versa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts