2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Sony Wega 50 inch T.V. several years ago and the picture has been great! The problem is, the third projection lamp has gone out in three years. The dam lamp cost $150.00 each over the internet and is a pain in the *** to replace.

Went to Best buy last night and bought a Samsung 52 inch LCD, 1080 i., 260 mhgz. Hopefully, I won't have to buy another for a few years.

Don't anyone ever tell me again about Sony quality.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
if it was a dlp tv, it probably didn't have anything to do with it being a sony. the dlp lamps have a history of not lasting very long, no matter what brand of tv they're in.

however, a friend of mine just bought a 32" sony bravia for her bedroom on sale at walmart, and i think her old crt tv had a much better picture than this bravia, but i didn't mention it.

i think sony's are over-rated.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
My friend has a 65" dlp and has had 2 bulb failures. His is not a sony. I think it has more to do with the technology than brand.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I have had a sony 60 inch for 4 years now and the bulb has been replaced once. It wasn't bad when it was replaced the tech said since it was under the Conns warranty he would go ahead and replace it. I still have another year left. I will get it replaced one more time before the warranty goes out.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
yeah the lights do go out quick

but if you keep the filter clean or air opening dust free you should be good. Also make sure you have room behind the tv for air flow. You want to keep the light cool as possible.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have the same tv, a Sony WEGA 50" LCD. It's almost 4 years old and I haven't replaced the bulb yet. Had a serviceman come out to clean the inside because it's under warranty and he gave me a new bulb in case this one goes out but so far so good. I love my Sony!

S.M.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
I am confused. You have an antique Sony TV that has been discontinued for many years & you are upset about replacing a service part with limited life expantancy?

Good luck with the Samsung. The LED back lite 8500 & LCDs have a great picture but reflective screen that will not work with houses with windows. Hopefully you did not fall for the "edge lite" LED scam. The bugs are far from worked out on the edge lite LED models. I had a 240hz 55" 8000 Samsung that lasted less than 2 weeks. Went back with another LCD Sony after learning of the LED edge lite issues first hand. Best Buy had no issues taking back the defective Samsung and trading it for a 55" Sony LCD.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
There are many thing that can contribute to light failure that have nothing to do with the TV. I am going on at least 4 years on the original bulb in my Panasonic DLP, I attribute that to have a good quality power conditioner, you know that thing most people view as an waste of money.

You cant really focus too much on the brand of the TV itself being the problem, its like complaining about a GMC being pooor quality because your headlights continue to go out, talk to slyvania ;)

I will admit though, the WEGa series was not Sony's best product, there SXRD was badass.

Regardless you made a great choice in your samsung, you will enjoy it.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
My 4 year old Samsung DLP has the original bulb. Im knocking on wood as I post this though. Its gotta go out sometime. I would imagine it would depend alot on how much time the TV is on each day. Im happy with my Samsung. IMO Sony is overrated.

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
You are lucky that Sony's optical engine has held up long enough for you to replace that many lamps.

Sony lost my business and my Dad's business with that hunk of trash they turned out.
We both had the Wega KDF 50" projection lcd unit and it will be the last Sony item we buy.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have a sony 55" LCD WEGA and I watch ALOT of TV and I am going on over 4 years with the same bulb, though it has gotten dimmer lately and I will replace it soon, found a place online for about $80. Always had sony everything and some RCA never really had much trouble with anything.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My 32" WEGA is at least 10 years old and has never had a problem. We (my family) have had Sonys last for 20 years back when stuff was made to last! We've had many and never had to repair them. Good luck with your new one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 55" Sony LCD set that I have had to replace the bulb on one time in almost 4 years and that was under warranty. I just got a Samsung 55" LED 8000 series set and the picture on it is great. When watching a Blue Ray move it is almost like looking at 3-D. I guess I got taken in by that edge-lite technology. It sounds like some of ya'll just need to watch the picture on your set instead of reading the reviews of other people complaining about there problems. Whats so wrong about liking two brands of the same thing.
windjammer

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I have a 9 year old sony 55" projection(the old kind with 3 bulbs) that has never gone out on me once, had them come out to clean the inside of it once.

I have a 1 year old mitsubishi DLP 1080..... bulb went out on it 3 weeks ago. I called warranty peeps to come out and replace it, took them 2 weeks 3 days to get a freakin bulb, after 2 days of waiting for them I ordered a lamp for $90 on ebay and put it in myself, when they got here I gave them the old bulb and kept the warranty bulb for next year when it blows again....

·
5,212 Posts
I just got a Samsung 55" LED 8000 series set and the picture on it is great. When watching a Blue Ray move it is almost like looking at 3-D. I guess I got taken in by that edge-lite technology. It sounds like some of ya'll just need to watch the picture on your set instead of reading the reviews of other people complaining about there problems. Whats so wrong about liking two brands of the same thing.
windjammer
Nothing wrong with liking 2 brands at all. The problem with me was I ignored the bad reviews of the Samsung 55" LED 8000 series & bought one when the prices went sub $2500 from over $4000. If you compare the picture to a DLP, the Sammy does not look bad. If you compare the picture to a good 120hz or better LCD or back lite LED, the picture just can't cut it. My problem is I have a Sony KDL-52W4100 120hz LCD & a Sony KDL-55V5100 in the same house. Sammy picture just was not up to the Sony's due to the uneven backlighting of edge lite TVs. I could see all I was missing with the Samsung. I would love to get my hands on a Samsung 55" LED 8500 backlite but the prices are holding steady at over 4 grand due to the picture without the edge lite flaws. Maybe early next year when the price finally goes down.:smile:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Vizio = Cheaper and better than Sony ;)
Ditto! I own 3 of them with the oldest being 3 years old and no issues. My most recent is the Vizio 55" LED 240 mhz, 2,000,000 to 1, full 1080p. Picked it up at Sam's jsut before thanksgiving for $1859. Then picked up the Vizio blue ray at walmart, for $148 so just under 2K for the package and I am loving it!

·
5,212 Posts
Ditto! I own 3 of them with the oldest being 3 years old and no issues. My most recent is the Vizio 55" LED 240 mhz, 2,000,000 to 1, full 1080p. Picked it up at Sam's jsut before thanksgiving for $1859. Then picked up the Vizio blue ray at walmart, for $148 so just under 2K for the package and I am loving it!
I have a Vizio in the kids room. Great picture. Good TV. Good price. The down fall of Vizio is the lack of service network, often requiring the TV be shipped back to CA when service is needed. Hopefully we will see this corrected in the next few years as they do make some nice TVs at a good price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts