2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got in a few hours ago. I met David and Earnest from ccfd and james from san antonio at 4 am at the municiple harbor. we left out at 430 with no live bait. By 7 am we were 30 out and picked up a 4 man limit of snapper by 8. we added a couple lane snapper along with triggers of course. we headed out to bakers in hopes of finding some shrimpers in range of my course. we ran into about 12 shrimpers about 40 out and only 2 of them were anchored. i heard from someone else they were trawlin late in the day. we fished the first shrimper we came to. they took a 12 pack and we got shrimp and cull. we picked up bonitas after bonitas of course but were able to snag a blacky here and there. we hooked a big ling at the excact same time as a blackie and lost them both at the exact same time, both pulled hooks. also when the ling showed we had both blackfin lines in to hook the ling. right when James dropped his line in the first time he saw the ling, a blackfin literally slammed the bait right at the transom. I kinda think the blackie was defending his territory or something. it was kinda weird seeing him slam a bait right after it hit the water within half a second especially when they were being finicky. Anyway we trolled the shripersw pulling only bonitas. my homeades were working well also, we decided to come in and fish on the way in. we stopped at one of the 26rs even tho we had a limit o snaps. it couldnt have worked better for us. we hooked everything but red snapper. we boxed 4 grouper a bliner and more lane snapper. we got in about 730 after running thru a lot of rain storms. the bluewater is getting closer about 20 miles out. the current offshore was stronger than i have ever seen making it practically impossible to drop anything down to the bottom the fish we were catching were cause we had some crazy drifts and they were caught about 100 off the rig. i thought i was in a class 5 rapid. besides the lack of production pulling plastics and the ridiculous current, we had an awesome day and a good catch of fish.

tim

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
what kind of groupers did you catch? were they rock hinds or gags? hard to tell on the photo. Also, were all the BFTs taken from behind the shrimpboat chunking or trolling or both. It seems they are somewhat thick as we were seeing them all over open water trolling.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Great report and pics Tim. I'll be out there all next week. Anyone wanting to put me on some fish can come no charge.

·
Registered
693 Posts
HEY! TIM!!! wheres one of those fancy hood ornaments you usually have with you?!? No one in particular- just one of those split tails to sit on the bow and look purty!

Nice job on the fishing!!!!

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
Nice report. Sounds like a good trip.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
relax on the chick stuff, all the girls i take out get sick, they cant hang like amy could. im being patient. its been a crazy summer weather and fishing wise. ill put a post up about what happened to my arm.

t

1 - 20 of 20 Posts