2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back to Austin to post a report, drop Amy off for work for tomorrow, and turn around and head back down to fix a hub and fish. I'll make it a somewhat brief report. Met Gary 8 AM at the airport where he landed his airplane. Took me and Amy to Falcons and we found some nice weedlines and an Awesome rip outside falcon right now. Came back and made it out the jetties at 12 noon. Bakers at 2. No fish once again at the bottom of Bakers. Will not fish the bottom there any more. Larry was at Falcons where we were going to meet. Called on the radio and said too many signs saying no mooring. So decided to stay at BN baker rig. Caught 25 above avg. chickens. Cut it off there they were extremely active. Startewd trolling a weedline at the rig. Pulled a couple dolphin off then the Blue hit. I was targeting bull dolphin but the Marlin was ok with me. Had middle shotgun out with a bart on preceded by a bird. right in front had another bart. Hit that one. Put on a good show long enough to get the other 5 lines in and started chasing him to our starboard side. he peeled off around 200 yards of line in about 30 seconds. Patrick said he couldnt touch the drag cause it was too hot. All I got to say is I wish I had the funds for 5 more tiagras. He passed us up in front of the boat and around port side putting slack in the line. Slack ended up in the prop and it happened in a millisecond. Anyway we have a 2 minute long video and figured we had him on for about 3 n a half minutes or so. What a rush for a 26 year old fireman working 2 jobs and living in a camper. Pretty proud moment I had. Just glad Amy was there for it. I have moved to the next step up of my destiny. I thought I was addicted to offshore. Not any more I am now addicted to marlin fishing. That was the first of many for me I'm sure. Trolled till dark and tied up with Larry at n bakers. Not a good night sleep 4 me at all wit a couple hours of staggered sleep. Oh yea partied in Luling for the watermelon thump friday night till 1200. Slept 5 hours and then went to the island. Red Bull gives you wings. Couple sharks at night. Morning came with no weedline to be found. Dropped again at the rock and nada. RIDICULOUS! Trolled the rock with binita and blackfin. Found our way to Aransas banks on a little spot I like and next thing i know there are 6 boats all around me. Just a spot I catch fish at everytime and I dont have a depth finder. Figure there is something down there I dont know about but obviously everyone else does. Maybe it was Amy pulling in 1 fish after the other that gave it away. Got a 2 0r 3 man limit of snapper to 20 inches and b liners and a decent ling. Small AJ and some other stuff. My crew was too wore out to fish any more so we called it early and left around 2 oclock leaving behind good fish. Wind picked up and no weed line between aransas and home. Ended up a longer report than I thought. Nice seas and wore out crew.

Pics are from the plane, 1 of the blue breaking water about 300 yards away from the boat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So, you're putting the poles to good use?

Congrats Tim. Lot's of us haven't had that hook up yet. Yudaman

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
forgot to mention i used ecactly 151 gallons of fuel. I went out with an extra 50 gallons. Ran out of fuel inside the jetties. Worked out ok though. Gonna be expensive to fill up 150 gallons plus 5 gallons of oul at 20 a piece. Oh well.

Tim

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice report. We were out there in the Fountain, but did not fair well. Just some plus size chicken dolphin. Heard a lot of people missing fish, but not hooking up. We missed 6 hits, but I think they were all dolphin. We pulled Hospital, Baker, Dutra and then back towards home. We stopped at a seaweed line to fish for dolphin and started to catch blue runners. Looked around and boats were coming form no where and decided to let them have the spot.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hmmm, looks like two of the pics came out right to me! :) Btw, what was that splashing thing?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
just remember next time, fight in the direction that the line is going, them suckers will fly past you and it will jump way in front of the boat but the line will still be behind the boat. Stay in the direction that the line is in and keep it tight.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
tim
marlin fishing is a rush. we need to get you hooked up too some nice yellowfin tuna so you can catch them and filet instead of catch and release....rick

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
maybe we can get another mass venice trip set up next winter. I would say we can buddy out to the floaters but I dont think you have enough gas......

1 - 20 of 67 Posts