2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tore up my shoulder in February loading my high-rack onto my truck for a late-season doe hunt in Dimmit County. I knew it would take surgery to repair, but I did not want to miss turkey season. I hunted with a recoil reducing pad to reduce the pain of shooting a shotgun. After turkey season was over, I started doing the tests required by the surgeon. I had rotator cuff surgery June 11th. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I cannot use my arm for two more months, and we would see after that. That means October before I even see him again. I can sight my rifles in left handed, and hunt that way if I have to, but I cannot shoot a shotgun left handed. I can barely hit birds right handed, and I have been trying for over 40 years! Man, I will miss dove hunting. I am bummed to the max right now. I really wanted to clear some brush in South Texas before the season, that is out too. sad4sm
BB

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
I feel your pain man! Last year, on the Wednesday before big duck opener, I pulled a half back-flip from about 10'-12' up a hill slope on my 4 wheeler at work and ended up with a severe concusion, whiplash and a torn up tendon in my right shoulder. I still ran groups on opening weekend, just wasn't able to shoulder my gun, so didn't even take it to the blind. The 4 wheeler rides back and forth out to the blinds from the lodge were bad enough, considering some of them were about 8 miles one way! Thanks to the wonders if Ibuprofin (the big ones from the doc!) and Hydrocodone (again, the big ones from the doc!) I was able to shoot by the second weekend of season, but boy did I pay for it afterwards! Those pills DO eventually wear off!

Good Luck! And sorry to hear about your season bein blown out!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sorry about that. I hunt doves in Needville and am always looking for a birdboy. :biggrin: Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. I've had several friends that had similar surgery and the recovery time is long.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I have been having problems with my left shoulder since a fall last deer season. Just have not had the time to get it looked at. Luckily I shoot right handed. I can still do a 16 oz. curl with my left arm when needed. You can still go along on the hunts and watch everyone else make a fool out of themselves. Hell, that's a big part of why I go. Amazing what a little bird can do to a grown mans ego.

Shallow.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
That's Sad, And I Have A Feeling This Year We Are Not Going To Have Rain Opening Weekend In The South Because Of All The Rain We Have Already Had.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Big Buck, if you are able to shoot a rifle with your left then you can shoot a shotgun with your left, if you have barely been hittin em right handed then join the fun and try barely hittin em left handed. I've been missin em left handed for 40 years but it hasn't kept me from going every year.

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
BigBuck said:
I tore up my shoulder in February loading my high-rack onto my truck for a late-season doe hunt in Dimmit County. I knew it would take surgery to repair, but I did not want to miss turkey season. I hunted with a recoil reducing pad to reduce the pain of shooting a shotgun. After turkey season was over, I started doing the tests required by the surgeon. I had rotator cuff surgery June 11th. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I cannot use my arm for two more months, and we would see after that. That means October before I even see him again. I can sight my rifles in left handed, and hunt that way if I have to, but I cannot shoot a shotgun left handed. I can barely hit birds right handed, and I have been trying for over 40 years! Man, I will miss dove hunting. I am bummed to the max right now. I really wanted to clear some brush in South Texas before the season, that is out too. sad4sm
BB
The next best thing you can do is tend the icechest full of beer for your hunting buddies and maybe help retrieve a bird or two.

Just being there in some capacity is better than sitting at home.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dove hunting

I will go on dove trips to my leases, but I am not going to pay to fetch beer! I wish I could dove hunt left handed, but my surgeon said no pushing/pulling with my arm and no lifting more than 2 pounds until October 1st, when I go back to see him (probably not for two months after that). I am afraid I would be using it too much pushing a shotgun out front before firing. I am, however, going to start shooting left handed with my rifles. I will not miss deer season!!!! I may just have to hire a gun bearer. I guess missing dove season is still better than missing turkey season.

BB

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Sorry to hear about the shoulder. That sux!!

Old Whaler said:
Sorry about that. I hunt doves in Needville ..............
Looking forward to the invites this year Whaler!! :D

·
Member of the 7mm STW Club
1,261 Posts
Man BigBuck,you sure had a bad year health wise.Hope you recover to 100% after everything gets healed up.Just remember,you're not as young as you once were,so conserve that body so you can enjoy you're later years.Though I have never done it myself,I think I'd try the lefthanded shooting on those doves,at least you'll have an excuse for your misses and still have great fun and challange in trying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Big Buck,
I feel your pain, I had rotator cuff surgery on the 18th of June and have just been cleared to start physical therapy to try to start stregthening the arm. Once I got my range of motion back the first week, my doctor wanted me to just heal for 6 weeks before therapy. I strictly bowhunt, and drew my Iowa tag, Kansas tag, Illinois tag as well as my south Texas stuff and now I don't have a clue if my arm will be ready come hunting season. I have alot of motivation to get it there but it is a slow process. The doctor told me that I was looking at 4 months before I would be 100%. What kind of time frame did they give you? Hopefully you'll be ready come deer season.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surgery

I had my surgery on the 11th of June. I was 6 weeks in that goofy looking sling. At 7 weeks the doc told me to begin Phase 1 strengthening that will last 8 weeks. He did not say how many phases there are. He said no lifting of more than 2 pounds, no pushing/pulling/ and nothing overhead other than my exercises until October 1. Then I go back to see him. I do not know what restrictions I will have then. I have a big rubber band to work out with. No physical therapy other than what I do on my own. I have been impressed with the level of pain. Man, those exercises hurt!!!! After surgery I thought I was going to die, and then by the third day I was afraid I wasn't going to. It got better, and now it is worse. I will begin shooting my rifle left handed in late September, I do not think you will make bow season.
I feel your pain brother.
Good luck!
BB

·
Waterloo..Enough Said!!
1,101 Posts
Sorry to here about your accident. I broke my leg 10 years ago the day after opening day of dove season. Was in the hospital for 4 days and 3 monthes on crutches, It sux being at home while everyone else is hunting.

I'll shoot at one for you....no promises on hitting it though....lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts