2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger is one of the greatest pitchers of all time but he cant do it alone. Bats decided to take the night off and are gonna get several months off instead. It was a good ride but SEE YA is on the menu tonight. In true historical Astro fashion we couldnt hit the broad side of a barn tonight. Oh well, maybe now we can concentrate on fishing. See Ya. Garner will be lucky to have a job next year, yesterdays's mistakes sure look big now. This is why you try to win game 6.

Z

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Think I'll get some sleep and go back to watching "OCC"

Sup Zac?

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
I thought we hit the ball pretty well the first 4 or 5 innings, they just got caught. If Edmonds doesn't catch the ball Ausmus hit in the second inning, I think the Astros go on to win. The last half of the game, the offense looked pretty weak. They were swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone and watching fast balls go right down the middle. Oh well, they made it a heck of a series and did what no other Astros team had done in the past. You have to start somewhere.

And the Astros would have never made it to the playoffs if it weren't for Garner. He'll have a job next year, and it will be as the manager of the Houston Astros.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
And the Astros would have never made it to the playoffs if it weren't for Garner. He'll have a job next year, and it will be as the manager of the Houston Astros.
BULLSH

·
Registered
759 Posts
In a wierd kinda way I hope they dont just give garner the team because of this 1/2 season. I hope the do a real search (if theres someone better) as I am still not sold on his managerial style or lack thereof. yeah he did great this year but what about when we get a younger team that needs to be maneged and an older team that needs to be inspired?

GO STROS!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Astros need Garner!

I think what you saw the 2nd half of this season was due to Garner and he needs to stay. The "bad result" was, IMHO, more due to the loss of Pettitte and Miller. The bullpen just wasn't "up to snuff" to support the team. Miceli is or should be gone--just doesn't have it! Granted, putting Miceli in at the end of the 6th game may have been poor but look at the choices available. Lidge can't go every night and certainly not for many innings. If Lidge had stayed and we would have won the 6th game, then we would have needed Lidge @ the Series and he would be "burned out". Besides, we needed some runs for Lidge to have won it and that was lacking! You can't win a game w/o runs!

Biggio & Bagwell are, frankly, "over the hill" although very appreciated for their past performances. They did very well this season.

I like Garner and his managerial attitude. I think he's good for the Astros.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda! It was a great season and let's rejoice in that. The "stars" just weren't quite in alignment.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
The worst possible thing that could happen to the Astros is a lead-off homerun and an early lead. It's a guaranteed loss. You'll never see a more complacent team if they have a lead.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
While I am not a baseball fan

I did enjoy the playoffs. To me, it looked like the Astro's were just tired. Roger should have been pulled sooner, most of the pitches were down low and that is a sure sign of being tired. The team will be broke up. Who would have played the odds that the Astros would be in the playoffs back in July?
Thanks Astro's for a good series.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
the bats really didn't show up the last 3 games. as far as garner, i think he may have the right personality to "manage" this team, but i'm not sold on his strategy of the game. there are managers out there that know what to do in every situation.

we'll see what drayton does... he can't say he didn't make money on the team this year, invest a little back into the team for the future.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little add on here

I agree wholeheartedly with the above statements. I do believe Garner was good for the team, Williams had to go. But I do severely question his strategies at times. Motivator? Heck yea. He got outmanaged last night by one of the best. That squeeze caught the stros with thier pants down. Anyone who has watched the stros for any length of time knows Jim Edmonds has been kickin our butt his whole career. He always seems to mash us. I feel much mo betta this morning than last night. I think we all just wanted it soooooo bad for this team and this town. More than likely it was most of these guys last shot. Now for more important matters. Lets get some cold fronts in here and get these fish active again.

Z

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
NaClH2O said:
Do you think Jimy Williams would have pulled them out the funk they were in?
Nope, my vote is for Bum Phillips.....LMAO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts