2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I booked a spot at the Texas National Rally in Baytown way before any of the Gustav/Ike mess around here. With all that's happened, I was a little hesitant about it, but decided to pack the RV up, load the golf cart and go have some fun. Thursday evening, I got camp set up just before sundown and got to go check things out. It was so nice seeing everyone out there, the cops doing what they always do at these things, and having as much fun as the rest of us. Thursday was pretty slim in the attendance department, but I did get over to Ron Hoover's booth to check out some fine RV's they had along with a few other vendors.

The sun came up Friday morning and the bikes started rolling in. Stacy rode her showbike over, along with a couple of friends. I wasn't sure I was ready to live in the RV again, after a week in it during Ike. But, it was fun, we had steaks on the grill, taters, and some fine smoked pork Mike and Margie had done the day before and put on ice. Friday evening, the racers started coming in, and I knew Saturday was going to be a lot of fun. We caught the last half of Blackfoot, who rocked the place and all of Marshall Tucker. MTB was a lot of fun, even though he obviously had a couple too many. His band took over singing for him, and he played tamberine for the rest of the show. I got back to the RV about 1:30 Friday night, and crashed for the evening.
Between riding a couple hundred miles up around our deer lease and partying, it didn't take long ;)

Saturday morning, the smell of nitro was in the air by 9AM. We had a great breakfast at the Waffle house and headed back to the track. The racers were out in full force and for $20 bux you could take your street bike down the quarter mile if you had leathers and such. Stacy talked Fast Edie into running the run, and it turned a respectable 102.39 pass, not once, but twice. Edie was ear to ear grins coming back down the track, and the announcers were giving him a hard time over the PA. That Rune was huge compared to him, but it didn't matter. He was close the finish line before you could even hear him passing us. Our camp was at half track, or just a little better, so I set the spotting scope up to check out the start line. It was fun being able to see everything from start to finish, pretty much close up. Saturday afternoon, one of the nitro guys turned in a real nice 179 MPH pass. If you haven't ever seen one of them run, you have really missed something. By the time they passed us, they were a big blur. The street ET guys were having fun, and you could run all the passes you wanted. I know some of them must have made 10 passes. Stacy picked up first place in the bike show, and got pretty hard to live with after that, lol. ;)

Saturday evening, Kenny Wayne Shepherd rocked the crowd, but he's a little to hard core for me. We went over to the small stage and they had a real nice band playing that played more classic rock and stuff I knew the words to. Saturday night, the wet t-shirt contest was on, and for those of you that remember the Joe Horn incident, "Blowout" was pretty much running it. He's the guy that sat on his Harley and pretty much ran that idiot Q X out of the neighborhood. Outlaw Dave was up there too, and he just keeps getting better with age. We passed the hat for the prize money for the contest, because funds were a little tight this year for a first year rally. Mike and I stayed through the first few rounds and finally headed back to camp about 2AM. We broke camp at daylight to take advantage of the cool mornings and I got home by 9.

http://video.noreast.com/phpmotion2/play.php?vid=218 is a video of the nitro guys doing their thing. Considering I was over an 1/8 mile from them, turnning on your speakers will give you the real feel.

Attachments

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
Congratulations go out to Stacy on the 1st Place win.

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
Congrats!

Stacy's bike(the Rune) has for some reason always reminded me of this>Tron bike scene>

I guess cause it has a futuristic look compared to most. IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts