2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the general opinion of a Nissan Outboards?

·
Team BFA
264 Posts
The only concern I had was the fact that they are in-line and do not have as much torque as a same hp motor with a V block. BUT, as far as reliability and maintenance, you can't beat 'em! Even after destroying my lower unit and sitting up for about a year, the motor still fired up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a 40 hp Tohatsu that I used for duck hunting and racing performance inflatables. It by far was the best motor I ever owned. I'm not sure about he higher HP engines though.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We have a 90 on one of our 19' work boats, has been very reliable. It's probably about 5 years old and is worked hard. Only complaint is that the paint hasn't held up as well as some other motors, but this one has been on the water every day for years. I'd buy another one if I needed one.

Tom

·
Done Wit Dat
7,524 Posts
I hate to say it, because they are Japanese, but they are GREAT. I have a '91 8 horse that has taken many years of marsh mud abuse. I use it as my kicker now that I have a bigger boat. I trust it with my life. The only motor I ever trusted more was the '80 4.5 Evinrude it replaced. Dad got a dela on it. I was angry that he deserted Evinrude as that was all I had known previous to the Nissan. I have owned 2.5 horse ones that were awesome too. Never heard a bad word about them. - Coach

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I had a 25hp Nissan that i had on a J16... One of the best motors on the market for the price..... Never had an issue with it

Thomas

·
saltgrass45
9 Posts
I've been running a 90hp for about 6 years and the only problem I've had is the carbs and not many people that have the knowlege to work on them. There are 2 shops in the Southern Brazoria County that don't have a clew. Just got back from having mine worked on in P.O.C @ Vantage Marine owned by Forrest. He's forgotten more than these other shops know. Mine is back to running like it should and I'm a Nissan,Tahatsu fan and would certainly consider a new one as My next purchase. All tho I don't think I'll be replacing any time soon. Thanks Forrest and I agree You shouldn't have to drive that far to get something done right....Thanks again Bernie G....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts