2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my wife a D90 last year for Christmas and it came with a lens in the package. Now she wants another lens with some zoom. Is there something in the $500 range that I should be looking at. I know nothing about this and she is still learning, so thanks for all of your help.

My next question is there another brand of lens (other than Nokon) that is a good buy for the money??

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I order to really discuss this we'll need two pieces of information 1) what is the existing lens she has? and 2) what subject matter seems to interest her? Let us know and we'll get you on your way...

I got my wife a D90 last year for Christmas and it came with a lens in the package. Now she wants another lens with some zoom. Is there something in the $500 range that I should be looking at. I know nothing about this and she is still learning, so thanks for all of your help.

My next question is there another brand of lens (other than Nokon) that is a good buy for the money??

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have a 70-300 AF-S VR and have really enjoyed the lens. Not professional quality construction but the image quality is good. About $500.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I have a Nikon D90. If I carry only a single lens with my camera, it's a Nikon 24-120mm VR (vibration reduction). The 24mm wide angle is great for indoors and the zoom is almost 3X at 120mm. You can shoot at high resolution and crop if you want a little more reach.

These lenses are about $600 new, but can be found used between $400-$500. Here's one at B&H Photo:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800667049-USE/Nikon_2145_Zoom_Wide_Angle_Telephoto_AF.html

My other lens is an 80-400mm VR. It's great for outdoors, sports events, but never good for inside the home. It costs quite a bit more than the 24-120mm.

The 24-120mm is good for about 90% of my photos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts