2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you other guys that work night shift keep sane? I have been doing it for years now and I think it is starting to affect relationships with family and friends. I just don't have enough time on the weekends to do everything and make everyone happy and make myself happy anymore it seems. It is a day shift world we live in. I don't see my wife during the week because she is asleep when I get home and leaves for work when I am sleeping. I have fridays and saturdays off and work sunday through thurs. I am grateful to have a job. I know it could be worse. I have worked grave yards and had only days off during the week, etc. I have no choice in the matter. I would love to go to day shift but there just isn't any openings and they are very rare. Just curious how ya'll go about balancing your time. It just really seems hard around the holidays to me.

Thanks,
Rick

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
Balancing time what a beotch. I went to a straight day job and can't wait to go back to shift work. Thankful though for the job by all means. But I'd rather have more time off during the weekdays. I worked shift for over 15 yrs. Opposite side of the fence from ya' bro. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. B&P

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
The older I got the harder it was to work nights. When I was in my 20's and early 30's I could work any shift as long as I had 8 hours in between. Now in my 40's you can forget it.

Nowadays, if I work nights then I'll only sleep 2 or 3 hours the next day. String a weeks worth of that together and by the weekend I'm an absolute grizzly bear. For my sanity, my marriage and my health I will never again work nights.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I'm single with no kids and a 15 year shift worker. I swear I do not know how family guys do this . If I had married and especially had kids I would never pick this lifestyle.

Shift work is a good living but can be a bad life. IMHO

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I feel like it is a no win situation anymore. You just can't be everywhere with everyone in one day on the weekend and still have time to do what you need to do, or what YOU want to do. If you go do something with your buddies on that one day, your wife is mad because she doesnt see you all week. If you tell your buddies you can't do something because you don't get to see your wife all week they just quit calling you to do stuff on the weekends. It's a vicuious circle. I just think people working the day shift/family don't realize how much less they have to divide thier time because everyone around them has the same schedule. Oh well, gotta suck it up. Can't make everybody happy.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
Majek Texas Slam
5,354 Posts
Shift work is a killer for sure. I have missed allot of academics with my son. Now im looking to get into a straight day job for sure. It is tough working nights. I have been working shift work for 15 years and im ready for a change. Seems like i sleep less and less now a days too

·
Rockport Operator
295 Posts
yeah it sux

Just like the others I am happy to have a job but nights are rough (especially if you throw in the 800 plus OT hours). Its definitely a strain on family and working every holiday and weekend really sucks. I'm in the same boat with ya, trying to find a dayjob but they are hard to comeby. Whenever a day job comes around the local suck_ss gets it because hes tight with the boss. Ok ill quit whining.

It comes down to this until you find the day job with weekends off. Its better to have money and paybills than being at the house with bill collector calling...Just gotta rough it out. Personally I'm taking all OT hours and paying everything off (house,boats, cars etc.) so I can drag up out of the shiftwork blues. Good luck we're in the same boat

Peace

·
bayoulady55
145 Posts
I work 12 hour night shifts and group them in a row so I am off four days a week which is a nice trade off. Working 8 hour shifts, you feel like you are always at work and it seemed harder to please everyone. I like the money from the nights but would trade for days in a heartbeat if I could make up the money lost with the shift differential. I have been doing nights for 15 years or more.

·
A,A&CSC,BR&TA
937 Posts
I'll take night shift everytime. I rarely wake to the alarm clock, got time to take care of bussiness on way downtown, and nothing better than waking up my bride before her alarm goes off for a sunrise surprise.
It is what you make of it, and life is good in the dark. Plus I haven't seen my boss in 11 months.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It can be difficult. I work M-F, 8-5. My wife works a 12 hour night shift - 7p to 7a. She works 5 on, 5 off, 2 on, 2 off. We do what we can to make the best of it. It's great when she has 5 off. 5 on, not so much, and even worse when she takes an extra shift. We often pass one another on the highway in the mornings. Like I say, we just try to make the best of the time we have together.

·
A,A&CSC,BR&TA
937 Posts
Miss Pat's reply

Hi I'm EGT's wife and to set the record straight, I like him working nights.
1. I get to watch what I want on TV.
2. I get the computer anytime I want.
3. If I want soup and salad for dinner, that's what I have.
4. I've got the whole bed to myself.

And to set the record straight if he wakes me up in the morning, He'll be singing soprano and walking with a limp for 2 weeks.

Kiss Kiss
Miss Pat

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
1,135 Posts
I have been working shift work for 33 years. I am still not sure how I do it. For the last 20 years it's been 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off, day and nights. Before that 8 hour rotating shifts.
I'll not complain though. It's made me and my family a good life. You learn how to budget your off time really. When I was young I used to let Holidays and birthdays bother me when I was working. I quit doing that to myself years ago. No one held a gun to my head to work shift work, and they still aren't. The only thing I regret is when I was 20 I told myself that I was never going to get used to the night shift, and I'll be durned if I wasn't right!
Well, just a few more years and I'll know what it's like to be on a "normal" schedule. Whatever that is.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,258 Posts
I love working nights. Been doing it for years. I get extra pay for night shift and weekends, and I dont have to fight the masses in order to have some fun. I work 12 hour weekends and 8s on Mon and Tues. Wed, Thurs and Friday nights off. I can go fish anywhere I want on Thursday nights, and there are little to no potlickers, as they are either at work, or whatever else they do when not potlicking!

To top it off, the wife works nights as well, although our days off dont always overlap. To us its as normal as working days.

·
******* Deer Hunter
208 Posts
been doin it for 6 years now, i guess i have a few more (about 40) left to go I know what you mean. but i work 4 on 4 off day to night rotation and it is nice to get those days off, we'll see how long this refinery uisness lasts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I feel for ya Rick, I worked rotating shift for 6 years and definitely felt punished for it. Every time night shift would come around (2 month rotation) I was tired ALL the time...tried my best to spend time with the family, friends, etc. Everyone tries to be accomodating but unless you have to work shift work you will never fully understand it. I'd be too tired to go to social events with the fam so I'd get hit with that grief. And if I did go, I'd be falling asleep on the road later on. No matter what you won't win. Unless you're single and have a bedroom fully closed off from light, telephones, noise, etc. My stomach was always messed up on night shift too. Shoulda bought stock in Immodium AD.

Seabass

·
Registered
616 Posts
i never could get used to it,when i was single it wasn't bad. but after i got married and 4 kids later , it sucked.i got to where i would save my vacation time for the holidays so that was normal.never got much sleep.then i saw alight three years ago this month.boss says want dayshift? well i jumped on it and don't miss nights at all.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dude, be happy to have a job.
I think he specified that already....................:headknock

How do you other guys that work night shift keep sane? I have been doing it for years now and I think it is starting to affect relationships with family and friends. I just don't have enough time on the weekends to do everything and make everyone happy and make myself happy anymore it seems. It is a day shift world we live in. I don't see my wife during the week because she is asleep when I get home and leaves for work when I am sleeping. I have fridays and saturdays off and work sunday through thurs. I am grateful to have a job. I know it could be worse. I have worked grave yards and had only days off during the week, etc. I have no choice in the matter. I would love to go to day shift but there just isn't any openings and they are very rare. Just curious how ya'll go about balancing your time. It just really seems hard around the holidays to me.

Thanks,
Rick

·
"It's good to be...Me" ><)))'>
15,143 Posts
I've been working shift for 32 years...you never get used to it. You just learn to adapt, and deal with as best you can.

You have to face the fact that you will miss event's, Holidays, partys..etc. and focus on the advantages which are many. Less traffic on the water mid week is one I appreciate...lol.

Shift has its bad said, and it's good. Try to focus on the positives...that's what I have always done. And at this point they would have to threaten me with something terrible to get me to work days, and I've had many oppoutunities to go to days....but after all this time, I love shift.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts