2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to do my first allnighter sometime before summer is over and have a ? or two. It seems you guys talk about overnighting at Boomvang and other deeeeep water areas, that are too far for me. I am thinking 40 miles out of poc is about right for me and my fuel tank. So, I am wondering is there anything to catch in the dark that i dont catch in the daytime at this depth of water? Do I really need to be way out there in the deep stuff to make it worthwhile?
also, is there a way to find out in advance which rigs are lit or do I just need to research them while out during the day?
I have noticed while nighttime hog hunting that a full or big moon is alot more fun cause I can see. Is this true out there or do I want a dark night.
As I said this will be a first so forgive me if these are stupid questions.
Thanks, Kirk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Overnighting for Monsters

confused;
I'm going to change the subject just a tad....If the 40 mile mark is about your
limit to overnight you might consider running over to Venice, LA.
You can stay at Venice and run out of the South Pass, That is about 20 miles,
your can make it to several rigs within 20 miles some of which are in up to
1100 feet of h2o [cognac]. They have caught lots of different fish between
the beach and the Cognac [Blue Marlin over 1000lbs, Yellowfin Tuna and some
swordfish] and Safety is only 10 miles away.
There use to be [Before Katrina] a small marina [Port Eads] near the South
Pass Lighthouse. It was heavily damaged by Katrina...
It may be still closed or opened partially, I haven't heard....
I think you should consider this option...It will give you the possibility of catching
anything you could hang at Boombang...
Mustad7731
Jackie

·
Registered
43 Posts
overnite

:eek:h: You need to atleast go to tequila or falcon to atleast have a chance for sure to catch grouper . The moon doesnt seem to matter to the fish in my oppion although you may need it to see if you have no radar.As far as the fuel issue if you dont have plenty dont go. The chance of all rigs being lit good luck.Maybe you should go with someone who does this often.

Good Luck,
Undertaker

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Hey Mustad I'm not trying to hijack here but you got my attention. Aproximately how far is venice from here? I also run a smaller 23fter with only 140 gallons of fuel and that sounds like it might mae for a good time. If i remember thats not too far from New Orleans is it?

·
Registered
746 Posts
The theory is that fishing is better during a new moon or a full moon. Would expect current to be less and more bait on the surface during a new moon.

·
Registered
552 Posts
About an 1 - 1 1/2 hour ride south New Orleans.
Mitchw123456 said:
Hey Mustad I'm not trying to hijack here but you got my attention. Aproximately how far is venice from here? I also run a smaller 23fter with only 140 gallons of fuel and that sounds like it might mae for a good time. If i remember thats not too far from New Orleans is it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allright then, sounds like the general concensus is dont waste the time for only 40 miles out. Not what i was hoping for but I guess sometimes things happen that way.. Thanks for the input guys, now back to the drawing board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts