2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is almost a month old, but since I am new, I wanted to go ahead and post it. On the way back in from ~70 miles out of Galveston, we decided to stop and try to catch a big Stingray for a local tournament (Tackle Time). One of the big reels goes off, and few minutes later, this ling is in the boat. Needless to say, "WHAT A SUPRISE". It hit a big mullet on the bottom, in about 16ft of water.

So, has anyone else ever caught a ling in the bay, or seen/heard of this happening before? There was an abnormal amount of seaweed in the bay, .so my only guess is that it followed a big patch into the bay???

We caught ling 70 miles out as well, look at the difference in water color!

Pictures are of my brother, Bret '05

Brandon '03

Attachments

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mont said:
nice fish. Just wondering, why do the rods get reversed in the last two pictures?
Thansk, Mont. The first pic was taken seconds after we caught it (you can tell it is all lit up), the second was a mere few mintues later, and the third is a DIFFERENT ling caught 70 miles out (blue water in the back ground).

Does this answer your question?

Brandon

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
I'm with Mont on this one...why not keep the rods in the same place on every trip? What is the deal with the chairs too? They move around as much as the rods do.

Just kiddin with ya...lol Nice ling...both of em!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Friend caught a thirty something pounder near A buoy this spring.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Great Post, great catching!!! Keep it up.
Some of us aint seen salt water in weeks. Way to go!!!

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,892 Posts
Chase This! said:
Thansk, Mont. The first pic was taken seconds after we caught it (you can tell it is all lit up), the second was a mere few mintues later, and the third is a DIFFERENT ling caught 70 miles out (blue water in the back ground).

Does this answer your question?

Brandon
Mont probably just noticed all the changes between the first 2 bays shots that were taken mere minutes apart...that red container, hose, icechest, color of the belly of the ling, scratch marks on the the ling's back, etc.

Nice ling regardless...

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The differences between the two "bay shots". OK, let me try to explain further.

We were fishing off the end of the TC Dike for Stingray. We caught the ling. There was a ling division in the tournament. The weigh station was on the dike, not 5 miles away, so we decided to pull the lines in and make a run for the weigh station.

We missed third place by a couple of pounds.

Any one else feel like picking on me? :)

Brandon

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,892 Posts
I believe ya dawg!!!! Nice boat by the way..... Welcome to the board! With photoshop these days, pics are always picked apart.....

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Brandon, I'm there for ya man!, I'm not gonna post the pic. of that duckbill platypus I caught yesterday either, somebody might pick on me too!

·
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Mike. I suppose I need to do a better job writing my story. Hey, I'm a noob. But I ASSURE you, one ling was caught in the bay, the other 70 miles out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think it may have to do with fishing superstitions....one side of the boat gets more hits than the other side....so let's take turns and swap the reels around so I can catch a fish! <grin>

·
Vendor
2,793 Posts
It could be worse...they could be picking on ya for catching 3 snaps a piece when the limit is 2. :) Btw, I took up for ya! I'm sure ya'll caught one a piece on the first day of your trip. (referring to your other report) :) Thanks for the reports! Don't let these guys get under your skin, they're just mad cause you caught some fish and they probably couldn't get their eggs outta the wife's basket to go! LOL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts