2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, new to surf fishing but not gulf (used to go to Rockport a couple times a year most of my life with the family)

we've been out about 5 times, and not sure of where some of the places are that I keep reading... any help as to where to try?

We keep heading to the same spot so that we can learn to read the water and try to get the lures/live bait down.

Its the exit on bolivar where the bird sanctuary is.

So far we've used dead shrimp, mullet, croaker, spoons, and Norton Sand eels (plum, pepper, and white/pepper with chartruese) with only mild to fair luck
Mullet has caught 3 sharks, croaker has caught 1, dead shrimp caught a sand trout and spanish mackerel, Norton caught a couple of small specks, gold spoon caught a single keeper speck but thats pretty much it. Mud minnows caught nothing - are they worthless?)
I've also thrown a couple of topwaters but no luck yet. got a bone/chartruese catch2000 and a silver with blue top (can't remember the name)

We're trying to catch Specks to keep, and my 13yr old likes to catch sharks.

Where is the north jetty I keep hearing about? Any other decent starting places or are we on the right track were we are at? Sure would like to stay on the Galveston side of the ferry to get in the water faster, I'm driving from north Tomball!

We try and hit the water between 7am and 8am, fish till about 11 or 12 and it seems to die down. Wadefishing, no kayak or boat. The little sharks are fun but are already getting annoying.

Any advice without giving away your top secrets would be appreciated! We are trying to bring home more than 1 fish.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
You are fishing in the Bolivar Pocket. Those rocks you see are the North Jetty.

Keep after it. That area is loaded full of sharks, so your 13 year old will never be disappointed.

For trout you need to get out in the water. Park at the pilings and wade toward the jetty. The bottom is a series of guts and bars. Keep fishing until you find them and then stay put. All the methods you mentioned should be good. Bait is going to get you more sharks than you want, IMO. If you do get into a few specks, put them in a do-net. The sharks can eat your whole stringer out there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heading back there Saturday morning I think. We tried monday july3rd but nonstop rain kept us to a single sand trout and spanish mackerel and some tiny sharks... At least we caught something!

Thinking about pelican island though because the ferry takes for-e-v-e-r it seems.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Go out I-10 take the winnie exit, go thru high isle to the beach road turn right, don't think it is open going towards port author, but anyway turn right , almost immediately you can get on the beach , there is an old broke down pier there, if wind is out of the north or light se good place, going futhor west you can wade the back side of rollover pass on the east bank on the bay side with your son pretty safely, don't know about now but you used to be able to wade almost to the ICW, good place to pick up flounder with your mud minnows , also good trout / reds. you can go all the way to the pocket if you stay on this road going west.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
If you come through Galveston, hit the seawall and turn right. Right before you get to San Luis Pass bridge, there is a water tower on the right...directly across on the left is a beach access road. You can fish the surf anywhere along there for trouts and sharks.

If that don't produce, you can go over the SLP bridge and a couple miles up the road, you will see some Condos on the left. Beach access is immediately passed the condos. Turn left on the beach and go down close to the end..like the last 1/4 mile or so of beach.

If it's too crowded, you can go back to the right of the condos and fish almost anywhere on that beach.

Then, there's always the beach access right under the SLP bridge. Lots of folks fish the surf there, just be extremely careful of the undertow, current and drop offs. Seriously, dangerous so wouldn't recommend it with a young one unless he has a life jacket.

Going this direction to fish may take longer, but there's no ferry wait to contend with, so you'll probably be on the water about the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts