2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys make yalls dough bait stuff? Any recipes?cut bait hasnt been working very well. Also is night time better and do you guys fish corks and bottom and which works best? Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
I only use frozen shrimp purchased from major grocery stores, around 50-60 count. I fish with no weight on a bare hook and let bait sink to the bottom. I only add weight in very windy conditions and actually prefer not to fish when it gets that windy.

My preference is to fish at night but when I fish during daylight I have had my best odds/numbers from daylight until around 11am.

Punch baits seem to be popular among lots of folks. I assume folks are quite successful with them. A popular storebought bait is Danny King's. I personally fished punch baits and dough baits side by side with shrimp and have never been able to reproduce the same numbers or size on punch/dough baits as shrimp. This does not mean it can't be done, heck I may just not have the right know-how. I have noticed, however, that sometimes during the colder months better catches seem to come from dough/punch baits.. not from experience but from reading.

Hope this helps. I am a long-time catfisher and reader but don't post much.

I often increase the bite by spreading sour milo over where I fish. A small coffee can helps bring them in and I spread more about every hour. Milo can be purchased from feed stores, fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of milo and fill it up with water, let sit for a couple of weeks outside. I have better luck with chum in the warmer months of the year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fish one on the bottom and one under a cork. Depending on how I am getting my bites I change to same set up. I fish lakes sometimes they are shallow other times they are deep. I haven't fished these lakes enough to learn the seasonal pattern. So each time I go I try one thing if it is not working I go to the next. I do move around from spot to spot a lot unless I find a hot spot. If you are fishing for numbers of fish punch baits are your best bet; for big fish you want to use live bait or fresh dead. Oh, I fish out of a boat 16 ft jon it gets me where I need to go and back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am looking for a good spot to take the wife to catch catfish on Lake Houston. The ramp I'll most likely use will be the one just over the bridge headed East on 1960.
She and I are pretty much salties and would like to find a spot to and just sit and relax.
Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well if you are going for cats lake houston is alright sometimes but for some good action try below the dam pretty much can through anything and they will hit it but if you are determinded to stay in the lake go past the railroad trussel on the atascosita some friends of mine said they are tearing it up over there

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saltwater Stalker said:
I am looking for a good spot to take the wife to catch catfish on Lake Houston. The ramp I'll most likely use will be the one just over the bridge headed East on 1960.
She and I are pretty much salties and would like to find a spot to and just sit and relax.
Any advice will be appreciated.
why dont you post on a new thread instead of taking mine:cop:

·
Registered
72 Posts
What difference does it make and where have you been? I asked that question back in Sept.
It's a thread to get info about catching catfish.
Don't sweat it man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts