2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the kind of year 2009 was, I'm hitting all the traditional new years good luck foods. Here's what I've got so far:

Smoked pork (considered lucky in the South and Germany. Pigs always root forward, not backward. An Austrian friend of mine told me he'd NEVER eat lobster for NY because they move backwards.)

Blackeye peas and andouille (a twofer...blackeye peas, and the sausage "coins" bring fortune)

Coleslaw ("Cabbage" is the slang for "money," thought to bring fortune)

Cornbread (the gold brings gold).

Tamales

Might add oysters...in Cantonese, the word "oyster" sounds like "good things." Traditionally eaten on Chinese New Year.

I heard that you should avoid chicken, because chickens scratch in the dirt, it'll make you just scratch by the next year.

What does your family eat for good luck New Year's?

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Black Eyed Peas
Summer sausage with sharp cheddar cheeese and sesame crackers

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Definately Cabbage and Black Eye Peas

I always put a real silver dime in the Black Eye Peas. Whoever gets the dime will have a prosperous year. This tradition comes from my Grand Mother. The first time I got the dime, I was 6 years old. ( 1959 ) Dang, I feel old.

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
Black eyed peas with sausage and japalenos, steamed cabbage and corned beef, cornbread and fresh country salted butter! Yummmmmm! About as southern traditional as you can get!

·
Banned
579 Posts
All my life

Black eyed peas with smoked ham hocks and ham. After cooked, mixed with rice to make Hoppin John. Also cooked pan fried cabbage with bacon, onions, black pepper, salt.

Non sweet corn bread and sweet ice tea to wash it down.

I'm from Georgia and this is a traditional meal on New Years, at least where I grew up.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Why is this so hard?

Blackeyed Peas (should be cooked from dry)

Pork Salt Jowl (Hocks ok for substitute)

Cornbread (as simple recipe as you can find)

Greens {Mustard, Turnip, Spinach, etc}

Should bring good luck

My mother told me this started when you were in the Old South and you woke up on New Years Day to find all that there was to eat was..... Whatever was left over from the hog you killed in October, some dried Blackeyes from late summer, a few cups of cornmeal, and whatever greens were left still alive in the garden.

Don't laugh my wife left today to get to the trailer in Rockport today to have time to cook this up for us and friends. Got to soak the Blackeyes.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
fry some bacon, crumble and set aside
saute some chopped onions & chopped bell peppers in the bacon grease till onions are translucent
add 2 cans black eye peas
about 1 T of yellow mustard
bbq sauce to taste - about 1/4 c
allow to simmer
sprinkle with bacon before serving

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Black Eyes. Canned not acceptable in my home. Has to be fresh (or dried).
Cooked with the ham bone left from Cristmas dinner (unless Mrs Soap threw it out)
If the ham bone is gone - either salt pork or thick sliced, peppered bacon
Fresh snap beans
Onion
Salt
Pepper
Touch of Comino

Cowboy Cornbread
2 packages corn bread mix. Make the batter per instructions (Back off about 10% on the milk since you are adding other liquids) then add:
1/2 can cream style corn
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 large sweet yellow onion (medium to fine chop)
3-4 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno (I like the flavor of Trappey's)
Couple of tablespoons of the juice from the jalapeno jar

Tamales - from a local tamaleria preferably

Might do some chili.

Maybe some sausage.

But the cabbage idea... that's got me thinking.

Probably will do a brisket or 2 over the weekend and freeze one to take to the doe hunt next weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts