2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our washer and dryer both are on their last legs. So, I guess I'm going to have to pony up for a new set in order to save my marriage.

Since I haven't bought any in 15 years, I was wondering if there were any 2Coolers out there that have recently done the research and made the purchase. The technology has changed radically since I was last in the market and I'm hoping some of you can save me some time and point me in the right direction. The initial reports I was hearing on the front load washers a few years ago were not encouraging. Are they better now?

We have a family of 5 so we need a Large capacity set.

Brands?
Models (front load or not?)
Features?
Where to buy?
Pro's and Con's?

Help me out here!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've always had Sears toploaders, but recently got from my mother a 2 year old set of Maytag Neptune front loaders. Man, you talking about quiet, and hardly use any water at all (or detergent). We'll just have to see on longevity, but I had to fix the last Kenmore washer several times.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,255 Posts
Look on Craigs list. I bought my current washer and drier from there at about a third of new cost with only a few minor scratches. Some of the washers and driers on there are like new.

Good Luck, Ken
Also check out some of the little shops that rebuild them and sell them on the cheap. I got mine at a shop in Pearland on the corner of Orange and N. Main and its lasted the last 4 years with no problems.

Cant recall the name of the buisiness, but its still there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your gonna buy new get a front loader.We bought one about 1 year ago and have been more than happy with it.Uses way less water,it has someway of sensing the size of the load so it's adds water accordingly,energy efficiant,quieter,clothes come out cleaner and dryer=less dryer time.they cost more but to me they are well worth it.We bought a Kenmore because it was on sale and has worked perfect so far.
I gaurantee your wife will love it and you know what they say when she is happy?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
we had to replace our maytags a little over a yr ago went with the next to largest set of front loaders that sears offered, it cut our water bill by about $40.00 a month, no problems so far. wife ;oves them, got the steam feature, that she doesn't use that much but nice when she does. constructed the bases myself , because she did not want pull drawers underneath just storage space.

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,441 Posts
Less water and less detergent equals dirty clothes. If you work contsruction or where your clothes get awful dirty, go with top loader. I bought a brand new one and am not happy at all. On top of that, I have had to call the repair man out to work on the same gasket 3 times. Pesonally, if I had to do it again, top loader. Plus they are'nt as expensive as front loaders. Even the wife ai'nt impressed. My .02 cents.
I've always had Sears toploaders, but recently got from my mother a 2 year old set of Maytag Neptune front loaders. Man, you talking about quiet, and hardly use any water at all (or detergent). We'll just have to see on longevity, but I had to fix the last Kenmore washer several times.

·
Team Backmarker
445 Posts
Look on Craigs list. I bought my current washer and drier from there at about a third of new cost with only a few minor scratches. Some of the washers and driers on there are like new.

Good Luck, Ken
Also look for scratch and dent manufacturer stores. Often times the items are 'delivered and refused' and can't be sold as new. This is how i got my washer a few years ago at about 2/3 of the new price. Look for demo models, and model close outs too. Kinda like buying a new car at the end of the model year.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
WE Bought GE Frontloaders a year ago. My wife complained about them from the get go.

# 1 we live on stilts and the washing machine really shook the house. In addition, it took way to long to run a load. We bouight the biggest available at the time and had to make more loads than we were used to. It did save on water but, intsead of doing laundry 4-6 hrs a week it would take 8-12 hours.

After 1 year I got her a new top laod drier and she is much happier. Now she wants me to replace the 1 year old frontt load drier.

MY sis in law has front loaders and loves them. However I think she is used to running a small laod everyday, and not tryin to do it all in 1 day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.