2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I recently registered at these forums. My cousin suggested I do because many of you are experienced at shark fishing. I have read on texaskayakfisherman and kayakfishingstuff on kayaking. My cousin suggested that I buy a penn 9/0. Would trolling be a good choice on a kayak? The kayak is an ocean frenzy. What are some suggestions for gear? Thanks :fishy:

·
Surf-fishin Grandpa
428 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Be a little patient as there are several seasoned veteran yakkin sharkers on board that can supply volumes of knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
7 ft rod with a flexible tip to get around the front of your kayak and absorb the shock, 30lbs mono line (keeps you from cutting into your boat) 50ft of anchor line with a big bouy and a bruce style 2 lbs anchor with a quick release clip. Decent paddle, flush mounted rod holders, and a PFD (along with the normal safety stuff).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Get you a penn squidder or something. load it up with Power pro. And CARRY A KNIFE AND BOLTCUTTERS. I'd REALLY hate to be the guy who hooked up on a tripple digit shark and got pulled out to the deep blue, or had to toss a rod and reel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
DOWNSIZE!! lol, Get yourself a good 20-40 lb. outfit with a 7' rod and reel that will hold 200 yds of 25 lb mono, spool it with 25 or 30 Big game and rig yourself some castable leaders (5-6'). You would be hard pressed in a kayak to put more pressure than that on any fish.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,369 Posts
tmfreak said:
hello, I recently registered at these forums. My cousin suggested I do because many of you are experienced at shark fishing. I have read on texaskayakfisherman and kayakfishingstuff on kayaking. My cousin suggested that I buy a penn 9/0. Would trolling be a good choice on a kayak? The kayak is an ocean frenzy. What are some suggestions for gear? Thanks :fishy:
A penn 9/0 is a great reel to surf fish for sharks, but is way to big to use from a kayak.

A good kayak rod for big game should be around 7' in lenght and have a fast action on the tip. Rated some where around 20-40lb, this can vary on different rod makers. One of the fun things about catching big fish from a kayak is you can use very small reels. I use reels in the 15-20lb class range to catch huge fish. The simple beauty of kayak fishing is that you and the kayak are the drag. All the reel has to do is get the drag tight enough to make the fish pull you instead of line. A 15-20lb class reel will put as much pressure on a fish from a kayak as a 9/0 will.

Good cheap combo I like is a Okuma Convector CV-20C and Okuma Tailwalker TW-C-701MH-1 20-40lb. Any rod and reel close to this will work. Like said above, a sqidder is a good cheap choice. They sell cheap on ebay. Ugly stick also makes a good 7 20-40lb rod they performs good fishing from a kayak. If you want top of the line, look at Daiwa saltist or saltiga or pro gear.

The rod has a good lenght on the butt section and perfect action for big fish from the kayak. Reel has SS gears and a good 5.1:1 gear ratio.

http://www.castawaylakes.com/Convector.html

http://www.castawaylakes.com/TailWalker.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts