2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reports a little late but pretty good considering the first trip of the summer. Anyway left Gorda Thurs morning about 6 seas were great, made good time out 25m or so , decided to try this trolling thing out . Eric put on a yellow seawitch ( I think thats what it was called) tipped it with a cigar minnow and all of us took turns catching 5 to 10lb bonita .Fun, but I'd heard these things weren't much for table fair ? Headed on out about another 20m or so for some snapper (4 decent limits ) hopped around rig to rig , got some vermillion snaps and anice aj . Fishing slowed down at the rigs so we wanted to try trolling some more. Had no luck with at least five or six types of lures .Any advice on lures and technique from some of you guys would greatly be appreciated. Gave up on the troll and headed for home and found weeds galore.. We hit lots of chicken dolphin, no real size to them but sure helped finish off the box. Seas 0ft we made great time heading in, everyone happy!!! Anthony

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
The Sea Witch you mentioned works great tipped with a cigar minnow or spanish sardine. When we troll w/in 40 miles we keep it simple like that. Williamson Lures makes the "bait-o-matic." They can be found at BPS, Cut rates, etc.. The "head" of the lure is in a diagnal direction to where it trolls downward the whole time, and it does not spin around. They also make a "cuttlass fish" (ribbon fish) with the same head. Trolled at about 4-5 knots and the kings tear them apart and you dont have to tip them with any frozen baits. We have caught kings, dolphin, wahoo, snapper, and even a nice ling trolling with bait-o-matics. Feather jigs are very effective when trolling weed lines. All of these lures will not damage your wallet either, about $7-10.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trolling

Thanks Newguy471, thats some of the info I was looking for. I was also wondering how do you know when and where to troll? Imean, you could waste alot of time and money blindly out there; as if it weren't already costly... And furthermore am I just spinning my props trying to catch wahoo, dolphin, within 35 to 40miles anyway? Does trolling the rigs produce much? Thanks again for any and all info! Anthony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts