2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to totally redo three old rods 2 from a brother I lost and my first real rod. Is it possible to remove the old seats and start over or do I have to keep the old seat and cork and just do new guides and wrap?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes, it's possible and at times most advisable to strip a rod down to the blank by removing the guides, grips, butt cap & reel seat. In fact, I often recommend new rod builder's do that to at least one factory rod as it gives one some real insight as to how factory rods are (or used to be) built. Often, builders will think about how they can improve their own construction methods after tearing down a rod or two.

That said, If one has never stripped a rod down to the blank before I don't recommend you do it to a rod that you care a lot about. It's not a difficult process but you can ruin the blank if proper care is not taken to avoid it. Get some help from another rod builder who has some experience with complete rebuildes or strip a couple yardsale finds first.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Now here is the "how-to".

1) put a few winds of masking tape on the rod just outside of the guide feet to help protect the blank against slipping with the blade. Then with a sharp knife cut through the thread finish & threads along the TOP of the guide feet. Don't worry about cutting all of the threads and fully exposing the entire top of the feet. 1/2 way or so will do. The making tape only provides a small level of protection so be careful!
Peel off the threads with a thumb nail and the finish will come with it for the most part and remove the guide. With a bit of elbow grease, thumb nail, & plastic (NOT METAL) scraper like a plastic picknik knife you can get off the threads & 99% of the finish. Any stubborn finish can be coaxed with heat from boiling water. Avoid any other type of heat source like hair dryer or heat gun! Get the blank much above 220 degrees in any spot and it's toast!

2) Cork & Eva foam grips can be cut, scrapped, or sanded off or if one wants to save them for later use, boiling water can heat them & the adhesive so the bond breaks loose. DONT SCALD YOURSELF!

3) The reel seat & butt cap can sometimes be heated with boiling water enough to break the glue bond & allow them be pulled/twisted off. If the boiling water don't work you have to cut them off. Make a spiral cut along the length of the seat with a hacksaw or dremel then pry the cut open the a pry-bar or cheap flathead screwdriver. Use boiling water again if they are really stubborn.
REMEMBER! saw's, cut-off wheels, pry-bars, screwdrivers, & all other impliments of destruction, including heavy elbow grease will jack up any rod blank in a heatbeat.
Just be carefull and safety minded. All will be well.
If your new handle is going to cover where the old was removed from you don't have to worry about getting all of the old glue off just get off the heavy chunks or glue thats not stuck on good.

4) Once the blank is bare you'll need to concider if you want to refinish it before all the new components go on.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not think I want to tackle myself I was wanting to know if it can be done, what would it cost to have 3 rods totally stripped and refinished to good blanks or all new rods with today's terminal not the top of the line but close?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Unless you can find someone who will give you a HUGE price break it will be cheaper to just have a rod built on a new blank. I wouldn't be able to do it for less than $50
each just for stripping a 6ft rod and refinishing would be another $50.

New blanks & components cost will average about $100 depending on the type of rod & how "bargan basement" your wanting to go. Some blanks can be had at super cheap close-out prices. Figure about another $100 on top of that to cover labor and overhead but that's also just a rough average. Plain Jane wraps & off the shelf grips can be a bit cheaper, fancy threadwork work & custom grips are more.
I have a few rods already built on my website www.snakeriverrods.org if you want to take a look and if you order in the next few weeks and contact me first I make ya a killer deal on one or all of those.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Not to interfere with a sale for Raymond but i am a complete novice and i have just refurbished 2 of my rods, one was a memorial rod and the other was just an old rod laying around.

i scoured the web, read and reread every thing i could on how to do it and was very nervous and didn't want to destroy either BUT, after a few questions a few emails i now have two very nice rods "re"made the way i wanted.

heck i even made a wrapping stand out of scrap wood, i think total cost for every thing and i mean every thing maybe 20 dollars, for two rods that aint bad.

so now i joined a rod building club "TRB" and am going to a building class at FTU on the 23, just couse it is a kick to build my very own rod's

so yes its easy to rebuild a rod, 80% is common sence, its that other percent that is skill, experience, and magic, heheh

·
Registered
234 Posts
FishTales there's some people dat could do da job but you would have 2 find out who they are&wut they charge.I bleave somebody can help you out,& no TerryG ur not interfering,anybody can speak up on any post.:cool:

·
Banned
960 Posts
rebuild

:texasflagBENNIE BEUHLER
you need to put some pics on, so we can see what you got. i have a lot of people bringing there rod that is a keep sake. i try not to over charge because of the fact that this is fishing. fishing is spiritual for the person who just fishes like father son, brother brother and so forth. also i will be glade to help you to get started refurbishing the rods yourself thats what we are here for.

WWW.QUALITYTACKLERODS.COM

·
Registered
643 Posts
Something to think about.

I do not think I want to tackle myself I was wanting to know if it can be done, what would it cost to have 3 rods totally stripped and refinished to good blanks or all new rods with today's terminal not the top of the line but close?
Being that they have sentimental value it probably would be best to get someone to refurbish since you don't want to tackle it on your self. As for cost, good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good. Not taking anything from anyone but again depends on the amount of work involved, parts and material and cost of shipping. That being said, is it cheaper to leave them as they are and hang'm up as sentimental value or have a complete rebuild for the same amount more or less as a new Rod. Something to think about, huh. Regardless of which way you go I wish you best, and sorry for your loss. Best wishes. Ed

·
Banned
960 Posts
:texasflagBENNIE BEUHLER
you need to put some pics on, so we can see what you got. i have a lot of people bringing there rod that is a keep sake. i try not to over charge because of the fact that this is fishing. fishing is spiritual for the person who just fishes like father son, brother brother and so forth. also i will be glade to help you to get started refurbishing the rods yourself thats what we are here for.

WWW.QUALITYTACKLERODS.COM
you may not have to remove the reel seats if they are still in working order. i can remove the guides and cork and go from there. the seats if glued good can easily be painted and clearcoated. the blank can be clearcoated the guides replaced for around 30 bucks and the cork replaced for about 30 and some change depending how much cork and the quality of guides you may need. this is for like trout our bass rods.
i have my brother rods i made in 1986 handing in my shop, he died in 1999 on the bow of his ranger bass boat on toledo bend lake in southeast texas from a heart attack. he always said that's where he wanted to die is in that ranger bass boat and he got his wish.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are all 3 7 foot saltwater 2 trout rods 1 popping or redfish, I will get some pictures 2 reel seats are fine 1 I would like to change I have been busy I appreciate teh help and I will be intouch and on the board. Mine got sick surfing in 2002 on a Saturday and passed on Wednesday morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts