2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy my wife a nice DSLR camera for Christmas. I have looked at the Nikon D3000 ($499) 10.2 MP and the D5000 ($699) 12.3 MP both have 18-55mm which comes with the camera. I have also looked at the Sony Cyber-shot HX1 for $499 20x optical 9.1 MP (only down fall I saw with this one was not being able to change lenses). She will mainly be taking pics at school functions with the kids and maybe on a later date sports and dance oriented events. She's prob not going to quit her job to start her own photo business just yet but it'll be a start LOL. Which of these cameras will be better and why not just because of the price. I would like to stay under $700-800 range. She's been good but not that good. :tongue: And if she likes it, I could buy her new bigger lenses for the special occasions like B days or Anniversaries which are both coming up within the first 3 month of the new year. Thanks for your help photo guru's.

Mark

·
Charter Member
5,936 Posts
I'll let the Nikon folks fill in the details because I don't know anything about those cameras. But, megapickles don't mean that much to me unless you really need to crop an image a whole lot to improve the composition.

I have been shooting Canon camera bodies all the way up the line, and none are greater than 10 MP. So I wouldn't worry too much about the higher numbers unless you let the salesman talk you into it with some fancy line he learned from the internet! :)

Both of my current camera bodies are 10mp. All of the images in my MaxPreps Profile were shot with either the 1D MK III or the Canon 40D. Every single image has been cropped to MP's specifications before uploading to the server.

I've seen some great work Rusty Brown posted a while back with a 4mp DSLR so it can be done.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure whatever you decide to get will do her for a while until she decides she wants/needs either a wider lens or a longer one, or both! :)
Or a flash for those indoor parties. Gotta keep the little lady happy, you know.

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
I'm no expert, but I was kinda in your shoes last year. I was trying to decided between a superzoom or a dSLR. I ended up getting the superzoom (Olympus sp570uz, in my case) because it was smaller. (great logic, right? :rolleyes: ) Cost was a bit over $500 after tax. I didn't really want the long zoom, I mostly wanted a wide-angle, f2.8 lens - there were not many of those that were not super-zooms. I used that camera a lot for about 8 months, then bought an SLR (olympus E410). I got a real good deal on a close-out slr kit, but all in (2 cameras, batteries, extra stuff) I am probably in for about $800-$900.

If I could start over with $900, I would get a close-out, body only slr ($300-$400), and a mid to pro level, f2.8 "normal" zoom ($500-$600) I don't know Cannon or Nikon, but I could get an Oly e520 (last year's body) and the 14-54,f2.8-3.5 (older pro kit lens) for right around $900. I'm not saying the Oly is better than the Nikon, it is just what I know.

So you aksed which would be better? If you want smaller, lighter, lots-o-zoom, get the sony. If you want better IQ, better low-light pics, and a MUCH faster focus, get the slr kit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ether Nikon would be a good start. The 18-55mm kit lens is not bad at all. I have that one that came with a D60. The big problem with point & shoot cameras is shutter lag when trying to catch action.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Foul Hooked, look at Costco for the Nikon's. they have both the ones you mentioned with 2 lenses. 18 to 55 or something like that and a zoom 75-200 or something like that. I AM NO EXPERT, but I have a Nikon D70 and my buddy has a Cannon. His has been repaired 3 times. Mine never. Don't start on me expert cannon lovers I know NOTHIN of either of them. Check out costco, same prices for 2 lenses Good luck hooked up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts