2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I just took the leap and bought a "new" 2005 F250. It has about 64,000 miles on it and I have been hearing good AND bad about these 6.0's.

One guy tells me get the EGR delete kit, another says start with a exhaust system then a cool air intake (for better mpg) and yet another says go with some type of superchip.

What sort of advice can I coax from y'all?

By the way, I traded in my 1999 Silverado with 366,000 plus miles on the original engine for this truck. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Ok guys, I just took the leap and bought a "new" 2005 F250. It has about 64,000 miles on it and I have been hearing good AND bad about these 6.0's.

One guy tells me get the EGR delete kit, another says start with a exhaust system then a cool air intake (for better mpg) and yet another says go with some type of superchip.

What sort of advice can I coax from y'all?

By the way, I traded in my 1999 Silverado with 366,000 plus miles on the original engine for this truck. Just saying.
I have read that the later model 6.0's were better than the '03 and '04 models. One thing I have found interesting is how you don't read about many high mileage 6.0's on the diesel forums. I really don't know what advice to offer you. I like how you mentioned that your SB Chevy ran 366k miles. I find it interesting that there are so many SB Chevy's that go 250k and up with very few problems when most of the diesel trucks have trans. issues, injector issues, and on and on with far fewer miles on them. Other than pulling power, I'm really starting to wonder if these diesel trucks are more trouble than their worth. Anyway, good luck with your truck, I hope it turns out to be a good one.

·
Registered
875 Posts
They had most issues resolved with the 6.0 by 05. But if you want a bulletproof engine a EGR delete and some headstuds are the thing to invest in. Your intake is fine stock and there is no need to put an aftermarket intake in unless you plan on going over 500hp, but a 4" turbo back exhaust with a cat delete will help your mileage and keep egt's down while towing. If you were going to tune it I would not mess with generic tuners like superchip at all because they lack transmission tuning and will shorten the lifetime your transmission. SCT is the way to go on a 6.0 with some custom tunes on it that tune both the tranny and the engine. Spend a little bit more money up front and do it right so you don't have to go back and fix something and pay for the right stuff again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They had most issues resolved with the 6.0 by 05. But if you want a bulletproof engine a EGR delete and some headstuds are the thing to invest in. Your intake is fine stock and there is no need to put an aftermarket intake in unless you plan on going over 500hp, but a 4" turbo back exhaust with a cat delete will help your mileage and keep egt's down while towing. If you were going to tune it I would not mess with generic tuners like superchip at all because they lack transmission tuning and will shorten the lifetime your transmission. SCT is the way to go on a 6.0 with some custom tunes on it that tune both the tranny and the engine. Spend a little bit more money up front and do it right so you don't have to go back and fix something and pay for the right stuff again.
Thanks for the info. I may have this figured out in a year or so. :ac550:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read that the later model 6.0's were better than the '03 and '04 models. One thing I have found interesting is how you don't read about many high mileage 6.0's on the diesel forums. I really don't know what advice to offer you. I like how you mentioned that your SB Chevy ran 366k miles. I find it interesting that there are so many SB Chevy's that go 250k and up with very few problems when most of the diesel trucks have trans. issues, injector issues, and on and on with far fewer miles on them. Other than pulling power, I'm really starting to wonder if these diesel trucks are more trouble than their worth. Anyway, good luck with your truck, I hope it turns out to be a good one.
I liked that truck. Didn't even change the plugs on it til 3 months ago when I did the second fuel pump. Got over 340,000 miles on original ones. And it was still getting 19-21 mpg highway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Change fuel filter by the OEM recommedations, use a good quailty diesel fuel additive that lubricates the injectors religously. Keep fresh coolant per OEM recommendations. You can disconnect the EGR instead of delete I have been told by owners of that engine. After running hard or towing let motor idle a minute or two to cool the turbo down some. Flip over to a good synthetic lubricant front to back when you can.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a 06, deleted the cat and muffler and running a sct tuner with innovative tunes. Its a beast. Innovative says it will run a 13.8 in the 1/4 with the tune I am running, never hot rodded or cared to go that fast but its there if you want it. Great truck, like someone above mentioned if you have the money available delete the egr valve and have arp studs installed with new gaskets. The heads on these trucks are weak with the stock bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts