2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of extra 5 gallon cans at Wally World a couple weeks ago. Didn't really pay attention to the new style of them, but now I know they are junk. They have the "self venting nozzle." Man what krap! They get stuck open and are a pain to use. Since then, I've been all over the area trying to find one without that retarded nozzle........with no luck.

Is this a new government regulation? I want a couple of the old school cans with the vent you can open/close. Am I SOL?

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
I believe you are SOL, unless you travel to a state that still allows them. Apparently this is a state-mandated change, so they won't be selling the old styles anymore. I bought 4 of 'em as well, they are junk.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Yeah - I hate those dang things. The only "old school" cans I have are 2 gallons. My 5-gal (new one) is that new self-venting spout thing and it drives me crazy!!

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
Those new ones are worthless. Probably some gov't requirement to protect us from ourselves because they think we are too dumb to work a gas can.

I did exactly what Shallow Minded did.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DANCO said:
is this the one with the green plastic piece in the nozzle?
no, it's the one that you have to use the weight of the can to open the nozzle. The nozzle slides open before the gas will come out. Hard to explain, but it is a POS design.

Attachments

·
Old ******
4,526 Posts
Got to any Jap motorcycle shop and get the racing cans. They have a long hose, vent cap and a built-in filter with a wide opening. They are pricey but last forever. Most hold 6 gallons. I have a bunch that I bought years ago when I raced cross-country and they are still as good as new.
Jerry

·
Registered
32 Posts
These gas cans are only here until sometime in November. They are actually not legal for sale here, but the gov't has lifted the restriction due to the Hurricane.

·
11,766 Posts
Go to Home Depot and pick up the ones with the yellow plug on the cap. It is a self venting flex hose and not that rigid krapp thats being sold.

·
Sea Ya
936 Posts
Go to Summit Racing or Jeg's and order the race jug with the hose for around 20 bucks and you'll never go back to the Wally World type jugs.

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
You can do what we did also - take a pair of needle nose and jerk the plastic stop out of the inside of the spout, then pull the slide/valve off the spout. Voila, no more stupid unusable spout! Oh yeah, move the gasket around to where it doesn't leak, and add the previously mentioned vent hole, and it works mo bettah!

I wish my government trusted me to have enough smarts to use the old ones though......

MM

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I have a round metal can that I have had for probably 15 years that is the best gas can ever. The onyl problem is that it is starting to get a few small pin holes around the top seam. It is loaned out to a buddy right now but still a tough can that has taken a beaten. Then I have another 8 or 10 plastic cans I have picked up on the side of the road. Those are great gas cans cause they are free.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those cans are CARB ( California Air Resource Board ) compliant - The state of Texas adopted those regulations a few years ago. Jan 1, 2009 is the date that the EPA will adopt the regulations for all states - The old cans will not be available after the first of the year so stock up now

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
About a month ago I bought a couple of 5 gal plastic cans from Bass Pro. They did not have that piece of junk nozzle that the Wally World ones have. They don't have a vent plug you cna pop open, but the vent is inside the nozzle and when I put gas in my boat, it works pretty well. I think they were $8.50 each. A little less than the ones at Wally World. I am really starting to get real pizzed at the regulations coming out of that West Coast state. Tired of all the stickers on fishing tackle that says California has determined that it may contain cancer causing chemicals, etc.

Just give me the cans that have worked well for years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts