2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't either. Sharks have been known to eat other sharks. There was a piture in Smitty's of a large shark tied off beside a boat with a huge bite taken out of it. On Skipjack's website he has a pic of Mr Champ holding a small shark that looks to be bitten in half. I don't see how this would work. But hey what do I know.

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
I don't think sharks will stay away if they smell a dead shark. Some rather large sharks have been caught on dead sharks in the past. I have heard some stories of 5 foot blacktips hitting a bait and not being able to pull the weight free and dying. Then when they brought the bait in. The head of a five foot blacktip was all that was left.

There is more to it than that I think. Have you ever smelled a big blacktip after a really hard fight. They have a very musky scent to them. Its an interesting smell. Maybe the extracts they are talking about have to do with this scent. The smaller sharks don't have this smell when you bring them in. As long as you bring them in fast. Otherwise, there is a very distinct odor from the shark. I believe it has to do with them putting up a big fight.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Shark Repellant - No Bull!

.... Bull Shark that is!

The article I read states:Tests have found the repellent effective on four species: the Caribbean reef, blacknose, nurse and lemon sharks. Studies are needed on other species such as the great white, mako and oceanic whitetip.

Not that reef, blacknose, nurse and lemon sharks are 'wussies, but I think they ought to get testing the big man-eatin' critters to see if this concoction works.

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
Very good observation Zen-daddy

I didn't even think about that. I can almost bet that the repellent probably won't work on Bulls, Blacktips, and tigers. Interestingly enough, the sharks that the repellent was tested on are from what I understand....picky eaters....fish, squid, and such.

Where as the other sharks eat everything, seagulls, rays, pup sharks, TRASH...LOL...

We'll see what the results come out to be. I really hope that the repellent works. There are thousands of sharks killed by the longliners.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Test

I think they better do some more testing. Back in the old days before sharks had any protection, the best shark bait to use was a small Atlantic Sharpnose. I know the Black-Tips and Bulls like small sharpnose sharks for a fact. Im not proud of the way we fished back then, but I will say that the Sharpnose was good bait. Dead or Alive. So they better do more testing. Maybe they mean a rotten or putrified dead shark smell. Fresh dead will attract them.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
ZenDaddy said:
.... Bull Shark that is!

The article I read states:Tests have found the repellent effective on four species: the Caribbean reef, blacknose, nurse and lemon sharks. Studies are needed on other species such as the great white, mako and oceanic whitetip.

Not that reef, blacknose, nurse and lemon sharks are 'wussies, but I think they ought to get testing the big man-eatin' critters to see if this concoction works.
Second that, ZenDaddy ... had the same article in the weekend Galveston paper. My first thought was it'll probably act as an attractant for the 'man-eaters'.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Hey, I'm thinking the best shark repellent seems to be my line in the water! Haven't hooked up in a long time!

I just booked a room in Galveston for this weekend. Will see if I can't catch me some toothy critters. Plan to be on SLP Thursday and Friday and Surfside on Saturday. I'll be in the gold xTerra with my family. Stop by and say hello!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was thinking the same thing ZenDaddy. Just let me fish close to where people are swimming or diving and they are in no danger. The sharks won't come around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts