2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new state record for Bluecats in the state of North Carolina was set on June19th(a coupla weeks ago)in a Charlotte area lake.The fish weighed 85 lbs.,besting the old mark of 83 lbs. set just a few months ago.The story and a pic can be found @ www.northcarolinasportsman.com.:fishy:

·
Registered
728 Posts
That's very cool. I keep hearing folks say that the next world record may come out of either Buggs Island or The James... I don't care where it comes from... a big fish is awesome....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Last time I was down at Lake Norman, the local guys were calling it "The Dead Sea" 'cause there weren't any fish there... according to them. I guess you're spot on, Catfish, another one bites the dust... I hadn't read the article until your post on the subject, and had not known that the fish was killed. I think there are still a lof of folks out there that believe they need the carcass to get a fish mounted... probably the case in this story. I do know that the new Virginia record holders went to extraordinary measures (in my opinion at least) to keep that trophy fish alive, but she was about dead when she rolled on the surface after a twenty minute fight. The biologist told the angler that these big fish spend a lot of energy to keep from being caught (as you can attest from catching trophy size fish in the past) and that if they are compromised in any way before the fight (spawning, or other stress) being caught can kill 'em. That is one reason I bought those stand-up tuna rods from you last year... for catch and release striper fishing. I winch 'em in so fast that they don't have any time to get tired out before we net 'em.... that way, if there has to be a release, I'm putting a "green" fish back in the water, not one that's half dead from fighting me on light tackle. I Know that catching big fish on light tackle is a blast, but it kills a lot of the fish that people are throwing back... all the while thinking they're doing the fish a favor by letting it go again.
Yes it is important that we preserve the resources we have, and yes it is a shame when people kill trophy size fish, but I am of the opinion that there are a lot of fish killed in the name of catch and release without the angler ever knowing he's killed the fish. I'm willing to bet that when you CPR a fish, you don't just toss it back over the side of the boat and forget about it, but the masses aren't as savy as catmen like you... I treat the fish as if the tables were turned and it is me that the fish is releasing... you can bet I treat the fish well LOL......

Point taken and agreed... it was not a good picture to see that big cat dead.
Tom

·
Registered
633 Posts
Catfish Skin dries up and is not a fish that can be mounted -- The best you can do is have a replica made ... Catfish are normally hardy fish and can take a lot of abuse -- Especially if they are released back into the wild ..

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree that catfish tend to be a lot tougher than fish with scales. Sometimes everything goes wrong for the fish.... I don't know the circumstances behind the NC record fish, but I know those Virginians tried... through eye-witness accounts. I didn't know that about catfish skin. I did know that if you give a good taxidermist the length, girth and a few other measurements, he (or she) can make a mold and paint it to look like the fish you caught... for about any species on the planet. Pictures help too...

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
survival rates...

Don't know the story behind the Carolina record,but,Hawkeye is correct about the Virginia fish.That fish wasn't killed...she died.
Catfish are very hardy fish.My dad used to say that you could put 'em in a wet burlap sack and they'd be Ok.:rolleyes: I've read somewhere that a Striper's survival rate is very low,after being caught...something like 25-30%.

·
Registered
728 Posts
NightTrain said:
Don't know the story behind the Carolina record,but,Hawkeye is correct about the Virginia fish.That fish wasn't killed...she died.
Catfish are very hardy fish.My dad used to say that you could put 'em in a wet burlap sack and they'd be Ok.:rolleyes: I've read somewhere that a Striper's survival rate is very low,after being caught...something like 25-30%.
I hear a guy talking about 75% of the catch and release stripers die... that is the ones caught on light tackle... I don't know if it's true. You hear a lot of things if you spend any time in tackle shops... but it is about the same percentage as your 25% survival estimate...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts