2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My computer has been crashing, apparently from an overheating problem, for several months now, and recently as summer arrived it has gotten much worse. We put a new and bigger power supply in it, and have replaced all the fans. Tonight I made an I D10 t discovery. :spineyes:
It is not the computer that is crashing, it is the monitor! :frown:
Now it is running (because I have a room fan blowing air conditioned air into the back of it), but the edges of the screen are flickering, so it is probably not long for this world! :help:

This monitor is a 17" MAG Innovision of about 8 years old. It has given good service, but I guess it is about time to replace it. :eek:h:

My question: What monitor in the 17 to 19" range do you recommend? What should I expect to pay for it, and are their any special merchants, online or otherwise that I should check out?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Regards, -JAW-

:rybka:

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
I wish you were close, I have one you could have...

If your looking for a CRT, lot's of good deals as the price has come way down. If you after a flat screen, I saw one on the classified for sale if Topcat didn't get it..
Viewsonic makes some good flat screens (IMO), you should be able to pick up a 17" for under $200

Here are some from Outpost.com (Fry's online store)
http://shop1.outpost.com/search?cat=-46622&pType=pDisplay

·
Charter Member
225 Posts
places to buy

I didnt get that HP, his wife let someone else jump me in the line.

Newegg.com is a great place to find good prices. I have bought from them for years. Good service, watch for sales and free shipping, and best of all, NO sales tax! :p

What you need to watch for is the "native or recommended resolution" of any flat panel. This number, such as 1280x1024 is the screen resolution you will want to run your desktop at. If your video card cannot run at that high (large) of a resolution, the flat panel will work at a lower resolution, but it will look terrible, jaggy, no smooth lines. So don't go for a wide screen 1600x1024 unless you know you have a video card that can handle it. The more pixels the more time it takes to change them all when the screen updates, and the slower your pc will seem.

If you have a DVI output on your video card, be sure to get a monitor with a DVI input. It looks better than plain analog. Some have both, and you can connect 2 pc's to the one monitor and switch between the pc's at will.

I like at least a 19" screen. Thats large enough to do lots ot things, and the price is not too dear. If you watch a lot of things that move, like videos or dvd's on your pc, be sure you get a monitor with a lower (faster) response rate. 16ms is pretty fast, but 8ms is better. If you dont care about moving pictures, just get one thats bright with a long warranty. Visit Fry's or Best Buy to see them in person, and know that they will not be adjusted well, so you will probably be able to make them look better at home. Check for ones that look good to "your" eyes, then shop the web for the best price.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
FYI: The monitor I am replacing is a 17" MAG Innovision. My tech gave me a good price on a slightly used 21" MAG Innovision. So when the 17"er dies I will upgrade 4". :)

:rybka:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts