2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help -
Purchased this new in August. From the start it has a miss that you could feel midrange under acceleration. It got worse so I took it to the shop for warranty service. It has been there 2 months now, they can't seem to figure out the problem. It is the fuel injected model. They have tried everything they can think of and are now awaiting response from Mercury factory tech. (been waiting 1.5 weeks for a response)
I am not intending to degrade any service department, I am only asking if anyone can offer suggestions.
What it does is during acceleration at approximately midrange there are misses and stumbles. It is smooth before and after and will smoothly maintain a max rpm of 5300.
The service department has tried a different computer, checked the quality of the gas (tried different gas) and they seemed to think engine temp was not being properly controlled so they replaced the thermostats. Then they determined the engine was getting to proper temp but the laptop they had connected to it for testing told them the engine computer thought the temp was less than what it actually is. Since the problem happened bot cold and warmed up, I don't think that was the problem. Of course they have tried new spark plugs and coils.
Can anyone please offer suggestions?

·
Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai
671 Posts
Your Merc.

At this point, call Mercury yourself. Tell them that you want it fixed, now. If you think you are not getting support from the service dept. that is looking at it, take it somewhere else. Sometimes when techs run into a problem they can't figure out for several weeks, it may be time to let someone else look at it. I would call Cris's Marine or Capt. kirks if any of those are close to you. They have been working on Mercs a long time. By the way, I will take a wild guess and say to make sure that your battery is hot and strong enough for that Optimax. Those engines are great but not without a good battery. good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts