2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a company provided vehicle. For the past 20 - 22 years that's always been a full size pickup. Well, for reasons too long to get into here, I'm in this electric vehicle for the next 12 - 18 months.

It's a Polestar 2, made by Volvo. So far, it's fun to drive, and is faster than a scalded cat. But, super small. The fishing rods fit front to back, and there is room in the back hatch for my gear and buggy. Thankfully my boat is at a marina, so I don't need to tow right now.

Because of this change, I will be either upgrading my wife's ride to something larger we can tow with, or buying a new truck for me when prices should stabilize in the next year for new cars, and pre-owned prices come back to reality. (I'm in the auto business, so I'm close to and understand the chip issue, etc)

I'm on the fence with this green vs. carbon discussion, but the car seems decent. It all runs on a Google tablet that is somewhat glitchy. Range is published at 230 miles on a full charge, tho that number is suspect.

And, it's fun watching people's faces when it scoots away from Mustang GTs and the like.

I don't suppose I'd buy one just yet, but all in all I was.....for lack of a better term..."forced" into and EV, and it's been ok.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
I like dogs a lot more than people.
5,551 Posts
12,6 et in the quarter means it would smoke ALL of the 60's musclecars by a good margin.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It’s like all new technology, it’ll take a while to get the bugs out and the infrastructure set up to make it convenient but EVs are gonna be a huge part of the transportation system in the future. There is a lot to like about them.

Who would have thought that an electric lawn mower would be feasible, and they are perfect for suburban homes. Same evolution coming to lots of internal combustion machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
I'm old school and can't think one good thing about electric vehicles, only exception is my golf cart.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Technology is good but everything electric has to be charge. Cutting grass today and finished my yard with a gas mower and weed eater in under an hour. Neighbor not so lucky with thick grass had to charge up twice but i did go offer him a beer in between charges.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
EVs have pros and cons. Great town cars, but maybe not meant for driving to Florida. If you're paying for the gas, you're going to love it, even accounting for our rising light bill as compared to your non-existent gas bill

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think a lot of the EV proponents think the electricity to charge these things will be free.

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,067 Posts
I'm old school and can't think one good thing about electric vehicles, only exception is my golf cart.
x2! I heard when the battery's go in an electric car there 5 grand.
I bought a new golf cart with lithium battery's , there maintenance free and last 10 years. So they say! New battery is 2500 bucks.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Im not completely opposed to EV. Considering I am not in the car note business and buy used, I'll consider something in the 10k range for my work buggy. Until then its a nope. And thats after the batteries have been replaced. I dont buy vehicles for 10k now and put 5k in them to make them work.

Im not getting rid of the diesel though!!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I heard when the battery's go in an electric car there 5 grand.
Get an EV or don't; I don't really care one way or another and I'm not getting one anytime soon. The overall performance of my 4-Runner will keep me firmly in the ICE camp for now. But making cost comparisons between an EV as compared to an ICE, especially based on battery costs, doesn't pan out.

Battery life is 10-20 years, though they only offer (typically) 5-8 year warranties. So if it goes out during the warranty, you're not paying the full replacement price anyway. But if you get 10 years out of one and if you drive your ICE 150,000 miles in 10 years and get 15 mpg, you will have spent $20K on gas, at $2.00/gallon. Not sure exactly what a charge costs per mile to compare, but most anything you read says it's $400-$500/year as compared to $2,000. Your savings in the first 3 years will buy you a brand new battery, should you ever need one.

·
Registered
732 Posts
<<< maintenance free and last 10 years. So they say! New battery is 2500 bucks.>>>

That's only $250/year--not too bad.

<<<No, none are so stupid as to believe that >>>
You apparently haven't met the people that I have.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
You apparently haven't met the people that I have.
LOL, I have met a lot of people in my 60 years, and for sure a lot of people with opinions on both sides of this issue. Most of the uninformed opinions are on the side of anti-EV. You suggest that some proponents of EVs think electricity is free, right? Could you please tell me where these people are and how on earth you would know that they think that electricity is free?

BTW, there are actually programs (incentives) whereby new EV buyers can get free charges at some charging stations for the first year of operation (pretty sure that's a Tesla thing, but not sure). Maybe that is how they think it's free. Or maybe they just count it as free when factoring in their rebate for buying a EV.

·
Registered
690 Posts
BTW, there are actually programs (incentives) whereby new EV buyers can get free charges at some charging stations for the first year of operation (pretty sure that's a Tesla thing, but not sure). Maybe that is how they think it's free. Or maybe they just count it as free when factoring in their rebate for buying a EV.
Its like stopping at a gas station...but instead of 10 minutes, its 6 hours.

·
Registered
732 Posts
<<<Could you please tell me where these people are and how on earth you would know that they think that electricity is free? >>>

The standard social media places, forums, etc and it is reinforced by having parking places with free chargers in some of the malls.
I never said I was anti-EV. I'm also not "pro-EV".
I am for let the market decide without government incentives (my money being paid to influence you) and edicts forcing the issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts