2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jalapeno!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea the other day about chumming for sharks on the surf. God Bless Shark Week for inspiring ideas!

Ok, has anyone used a surf rod as a chum rod? Basically what I am thinking is something like this..

Take a large piece of PVC pipe, maybe 2 feet long x 12 inches in diameter, cap 1 end and then use a twist lock for the other.

Next you make a medium sized coffee can weight and attach your pvc pipe to it with 10 foot 15-20# line. Coffee Can filled with rocks, cement, etc. or a large brick?

Anyays, fill the PVC pipe with chum and then attach the PVC pipe to a surf rod by using one of the chum holes you drilled. Then you just kayak your chum pipe out into the the surf. Now, the theory is that once you are ready to go you just reel the PVC pipe with ease by the breaking of the PVC to weight line.

Umm anyone done this? Good Idea? Overkill? A big shark will tear up your PVC pipe idiot? Anything? I am open to all suggestions.

-Z-

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I've seen lots of ways tried to chum the surf, none of them increased the catch rate enough to tell if the chum had any effect or not. Meaning, chum got skunked just as often as no chum got skunked.
Your idea may have merit, if you use enough chum.
I don't like the idea of leaving a breakaway weight on bottom after you are finished. There is already enough trash in the water/on the beach.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used to use and re-use a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in it. I would use a small anchor to keep it in place. It was cool cause you would have a visual of the white bucket and sometimes the sharks also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pack the chum in a 2 foot long piece of 2" pvc capped on one end. then slide on a pair of knee high panty hose and empty the chum into the hose. tie the end of hose in a knot and clip to your special made pantyhose casting leader and let her rip. HEHAHEHAHEHA!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts