2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Native Texan
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have found the latest best CCW, besides the pocket .38 hammerless revolver (my all time favorite so far). I have an XD .40 subcompact. 3" bbl and 9+1 mag (also 12 rd extended mag). It is very easily concealed, has enough capacity and firepower in the .40 to be very effective. It even fits in the front pocket of blue jeans. I am going to carry it a while and report back.
I also have access to an XDS, Glock 26 and a Sig P238. I will probably start a new thread comparing these pistols for their conceal ability to the XD .40.

·
Native Texan
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did a little research last night and:

XDS
bbl length 3.3"
Capacity 5+1 (does have an extended mag option 7+1)
.45 caliber

Glock 26
bbl length 3.46"
Capacity 9+1
9mm caliber

Sig P238
bbl length 2.7"
Capacity 6+1
.380 ACP caliber

·
Native Texan
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
XD subcompact
bbl length 3"
Capacity 9+1
.40 caliber (also comes in a 9mm)

Correction, the Glock 26 has 10+1 capacity. It also comes in a .40 in the Glock 27 model.

So far, it appears that all of these guns are going to be very easy to conceal (as is to be expected). They all have basically a 3 finger grip surface and a short barrel.

From just this basic data review, I still feel that the XD SC .40 offers as good, if not better, CCW than the others especially considering the capacity difference between the XDS .45 at 5+1 and the XD SC .40 at 9+1.

Also, the Glock 26 9MM is 10+1 (one more shot than the .40) not enough IMO to make up for the lost firepower of the .40.

I have never shot a P238 and only handled one a time or two, so no real world knowledge. IMO it is a light caliber for CCW ( I know, this is the same guy who likes the .38, but to be fair, I carry the +P JHP ammo).

The next step, for me, is to actually wear each of these for a while and get the first hand info. Also, to learn about the safeties, or lack thereof, on each weapon and the overall complexity of operation of each gun. I do know that the P238 is much like a 1911 in its operation, which, in my book, makes it a weapon that requires a LOT of practice to become proficient in its operation.

While I said that the XD SC will fit in the front pocket of blue jeans, I didn't try it with a holster and wouldn't carry it (or any of these weapons) in a pocket without one. I always carry hot, so thus the need for the holster. I am getting old, but still can't go 'round shootin' off misclaimeous parts and pieces from an AD in a front pocket.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Sig P938... Basically the 9mm version of the 238.

6+1 or 7+1 with the pinky extender.

Im still getting used to it. If the XDs had been out in the 9mm, I would have been all over it.

P238 (.380) vs P938 (9mm)

·
Native Texan
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Justin, while I think that Sig pistols may be the most reliable pistols made, I personally feel that there are too many functions on them to be my preferred CCW. It would take hundreds of rounds to make operating them come natural. Not saying I won't carry one, I just would need LOTS of good practice for it to become natural and for me to feel comfortable.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Justin, while I think that Sig pistols may be the most reliable pistols made, I personally feel that there are too many functions on them to be my preferred CCW. It would take hundreds of rounds to make operating them come natural. Not saying I won't carry one, I just would need LOTS of good practice for it to become natural and for me to feel comfortable.
Its a safety button switch... thats the only difference.

I switched back and forth between my XD and my 928 at the range Saturday with no issues. Its kind of a different feel.

Kinda like working 2 different shotguns in my eyes. Safety in the front of the trigger guard vs safety in the back. Came pretty natural.

HOWEVER, apparently you have to break these 938s in... and Im not too happy about it. I am still getting FTEs and FTFs at 200 rounds. Research shows is going to take 200-400 rounds of 124gr before it will cycle standard 115 loads... (Guess what I have a ton of... lol)

That being said, I shot my buddy's XDs 45 the other day.... it was ALOT more accurate than I was expecting... didnt have bad recoil... great gun... just not enough mag capacity and it was a little narrow for my hand. I love my full size XD though and am comforable with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts