2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up a trip to go to the river and was wondering if anyone knew of a good camp site down there. There will be about 20 people coming so i figure we will have to get 2 sites. Also i know that the guadalupe is low right now so the comel is going to be the river to float. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
I stayed at Camp Huaco Springs last year and about two weeks ago. It's part of Rockin' R and is located on River Road right at the first crossing. They don't do any reservations in the camping area, so it's first come, first serve. It's $25 a night per vehicle. We thought about floating the Comal, but that meant we would have to take two vehicles (which meant driving both of them back, too, which we were concerned with) and they have a limit as to how many are allowed to float it. Instead, we payed for everything at the tube rental at the campsite and they bussed us to their main location in Gruene. From there, there are two exit points. They said they were 3 and 5 hour floats, but they were more like 4-5 and 7-8 hour floats. The river was low and slow and there were several places that required walking and dragging your tube or raft, but only 3 or 4 for the entire trip to the last exit. Hopefully, the area has had some rain recently and will be a little quicker. I think they week leading up to our trip and that weekend they were only releasing 46 cfs from Canyon Lake. The chart I found said 100-300 cfs was recreational. We still had fun, though.

http://www.rockinr.com/

·
Registered
154 Posts
Went to Guadalupe's 1st outfitters two weeks ago, plenty of water to float. Never had to get out of tube, no rapids though. Pretty relaxing ride, good for kids. www.guadalupes1st.com, ask for JB, tell him Aaron from Houston sent you. He'll give you a pretty good deal, or PM me and I will call him and tell him you are coming.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Gilligans island is where we go, am heading there next weekend. The owner Dave is really good guy. 12 bucks a night per person to camp and 8 bucks a day for a tube, best prices we had foung, have a really pretty place, clean showers, and they also have cabins if you dont want to rough it too much.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information guys, i think im going to go with the rockinr as most other places are booked for what i want to do. I called and they said that the campsites on the comal (first come first serve) never fill up so we will see and if not go onto the gaudalupe sites.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mrschasintail said:
If you have kids be aware that Huaco Spring is very Adult. The partying is all night long.
No kids for me. Im one of those ones that are partying all night. But thanks now i know where to go

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FLAT FISHY said:
my kids just got back ...no water 4hr float is 8
No problem with me that just means more beer drinking..... just bring another cooler and its all good.

·
yakfisher
805 Posts
Lazy L&L lots of shade, big camp ground and if you rent your tubes from them, the shuttle is included in the price of the tubes. way down the road on the thrid crossing. this way you don't get alot of the stupid drunks and kids being loud all night long.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
We've been going to KL Ranch Camp near the first crossing for about 12 years in a row now. Check out their web site http://www.klranchcamp.com/ They will shuttle you to and from areas that are floatable and have sites on both sides of river road, on the water or up on the hill. We have always enjoyed our stays there and the crowd is rarely rowdy, besides us of course.

·
Registered
146 Posts
parker21ft said:
Thanks for the information guys, i think im going to go with the rockinr as most other places are booked for what i want to do. I called and they said that the campsites on the comal (first come first serve) never fill up so we will see and if not go onto the gaudalupe sites.
There are no "campsites" on the Comal River. It is lined with private property. (Schlitterbahn, homes, a park...) If you want to "camp" you will need to hang on the Guadalupe. The river is running about 46 CFS and is very very shallow in spots.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08167800&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

The Comal is only down about 6 inches and is very nice. Just nowhere to pitch a tent. There might be one place for RV's and that was mentioned earlier.. Land Falls or something... I *think*. Texas Tubes has a great deal on tube rental and a ride back to your car. It is next door to Landa Falls... or at least within one or two lots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts