2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help me find some places to go fishing that might produce. ive just purchased a new boat and been out on it 4 times and havent caught anything!! i would never addmit this to anyone normaly but i cant take it anymore,its a 20 footer and im a rookie,please help if anyone would like to go out tomorrow just let me now im leaving out of katy. the closer the better but where ever i have to go to scratch this itch im down!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Where have you been going and how are you fishing? A good place to start is with shrimp out at the jetties. Just free line it or put a cork on and something is bound to take it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Get yourself a hot spot map of Galveston from Academy. Look over the spots listed in the areas you are interested in fishing. There is a legend covering each section that tells you what month of the year to fish the spots and what to expect to catch.

Listening to the 610am Outdoor radio show on Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings starting at 4:00am can also give you some good information.

You might try hiring a guide to take you fishing in your boat and give you ideas on areas to fish.

Lastly, just go out and look for spots. Be aware of other boats in the area and watch to see if they are catching anything. Make a note of the area (spot) and try fishing it next time around. Just because a lot of boats are anchored around each other doesn't mean anyone is catching fish. Some of the best spots I've found have been away from areas that are normally fished.

Tide movement plays a big role in fishing catching. Some spots are better fished in an out going tide vs incoming and vice versa. The best thing to do is know the tide information for the day and keep a log of where you fished along with tide information. Soon you will develope a history of your fishing and be able to better know where to go depending on the conditions.

·
15,098 Posts
4 whole trips and no fish..........
Wish I had only that few....
The heat of the summer isnt the best time of year to catch a trout, flounder or redfish.
This fall it will get better...
Like I tell everyone.
Get a guide a couple of times........They can teach yu alot.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
What I did when I was your age (20 years ago) and knew little about the bay system I would take a old geezer (like myself now) that I knew could fish and listened to him and paid attention.I fished the jetty's alot but be sure you got a good anchor that you dont care about loosing I have lost a few.There are lots of people on this site that catch lots of fish post up that you got a open spot on your boat you might get lucky and get someone that knows what there doing. good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
I second the idea of going to Academy and buying a chart. Also the jetties is a good place to start. You're almost guaranteed to catch something. Maybe not a boatload, but you'll catch fish. I would also gather a couple of friends and hire a guide. Other than that it's all about spending as much time on the water as you can.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
TheSamarai said:
Try the jetties at night with some lights. I can almost guarantee that you will catch something to break your current streak.
Are you seriously recommending to an admitted "ROOKIE" to go out to the Jetties at NIGHT? This is just bad advice. C'mon man...you're going to get this kid hurt with advice like that.

Listen to HSP - he is giving you great advice!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do not let not catching fish get you down i got a new boat a year and a half ago and it took some time to figure out what too look for. Im sure you know but in the bay wind tides and water clarity can be very large factors in finding fish. Recently i have taken a trip to the north jetty for the last 4 weekends have come home with at least 10 trout 3 of those trips. I pass through the boat cut to the gulf side of bolivar and head down to 5-7 foot of water and fish within casting distance of the rocks. Cajun thunder popping corks have been best producer for me, when the water is clear i throw yozuri 3d minnows. You will probably get the hang of it for winter pattern to start and mess you all up again. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts