2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mexico is planning a new major tourism center near the Texas Border along the Gulf of Mexico that will have 20,000 rooms for guests and create 115,000 jobs that is 100 miles south of Brownsville. Could this create jobs for South Texas Fishing Guides? Its about 50 miles down the beach from my la case at Playa Bagdad, a short jeep or panga ride.....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tbriefs_15int.ART.State.Edition1.4b8e975.html

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
Mexico is planning a new major tourism center near the Texas Border along the Gulf of Mexico that will have 20,000 rooms for guests and create 115,000 jobs that is 100 miles south of Brownsville. Could this create jobs for South Texas Fishing Guides?
i doubt any South Texas guides would want to work on building the tourism center

as-far-as-i-know, none of'em quit guiding to go to work at the new pipe yard in Pt Isabel......... so why give up their guide services to go work 100 miles south of brownsville for mexican wages? :spineyes:

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
haha.

There are some Americans that run hunting and fishing lodges down by La Pesca on the Rio Soto La Marina. Apparently it's quite wild and untouched, just a fishing village now, though I've never been there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Animal Chris- I never met anyone that fished La Pesca before

That was one of the great adventures in my childhood. I fished there several times as a kid. You ever fished Mesquital???

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
haha.

There are some Americans that run hunting and fishing lodges down by La Pesca on the Rio Soto La Marina. Apparently it's quite wild and untouched, just a fishing village now, though I've never been there.
Been there twice and its a real pretty place, except for all the gill nets and fish traps everywhere. If those people could figure out a way to make a living for a few years while the fish recovered, they could all live like kings off the tourist/fishermen. As it is now, you won't see a speck over about 13" and we never saw any snook or tarpon.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Well I can only imagine the locals use every kind of net invented for inshore fish, although at one time the area was known for robalo, the common snook. But the river is skinny and the inshore bay is skinny ... I was thinking offshore because it might hold more pelagic fish and the drop off of the Continental Shelf looks closer into the shore. But honestly, I have no clue if offshore fishing is worth a darn there. Anybody tried?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been there twice and its a real pretty place, except for all the gill nets and fish traps everywhere. If those people could figure out a way to make a living for a few years while the fish recovered, they could all live like kings off the tourist/fishermen. As it is now, you won't see a speck over about 13" and we never saw any snook or tarpon.
Hopefully with 115 thousand jobs that are supposed to be created in the area, the locals will have choices on how to make a living other than gill nets and fish traps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is probably the 5th time a proposal like this has been made for La Pesca/Soto La Marina area. Basically none of them have ever taken off, if you go down there, there are some really decent looking 2 and 3 story condos that are abandoned. There is some serious issues with building down there as many others have figured out:
-Where is the nearest big jet capable airport? Cd. Victoria, about 80 miles away over curvy roads, about a 2.5 hour drive.

-Where are they going to get the drinking water without tapping that river out? What are they going to do in times of drought?

-What about the trash and septic? Currently La Pesca is filthy and has not a sewer one save what runs into the river.

-What are they going to do in Nov-March when those northers howl through there. If it blows 40 MPH at SPI, it blows 55MPH at La Pesca.

-Why in the world would you go to La Pesca when you will probably be able to get to Cancun or Coz for about the same price?

-I have heard that one of the things that they are trying to get done is gambling there, as it is a really small town basically in the middle of nowhere they think they can get it past the historical Mexican govt. opposition. That might be a draw.

-This has failure written all over it.

In terms of fishing:
I have fished off shore out and around down there. There is a nice sea mount like structure about 50-60 miles south east of there that is impressive. There are also some real big rocks out about 25 miles and such. I think 100 Fathoms is 34 miles from there maybe a little less, if I am not mistaken. We would have fished more but going into and out of La Pesca is dicey at best if you can avoid the fish nets, which we weren't so successful at doing.

I think we raised a couple of billfish, and caught lots of Wahoo's and Dolphin, maybe a tuna. I have done more fishing south of Tampico than around there and the fishing in those areas can be good. But in the early 90's there was lots of long line pressure in those areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts