2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a new reel for targeting yellowfin tuna and I was curious what the groups thoughts were about the tld 50 2 or even the 50 2wlrs and the avet exw402 2 speed.

somehow I have drug those 2 up time and time again. both reels seem similar in most aspects except the 50 is graphite body and the avet is aluminum. but I am definetly not the expert so i thought id ask.. I admit it is possible that I have missed the boat (again) and theres something even better in this range of reels.

Thanks

-AK

·
Registered
949 Posts
Personally, I think the Tiagra 50W is too big for tuna. It makes standup fishing a lot harder than it should be. The additional size and weight seem to make a big difference, atleast to me. I purchased a Tiagra 30WLRS and love it for stand-up tuna fishing.

Get WIld

Eric

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I have the Avet and it has never failed to perform perfectly on tuna. I have mine loaded with about 600yds of 80lb Power Pro. I have landed around 15 Yellowfin on it and so far have yet to use the 2nd speed, but it's there if I ever do need it.

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
I have boated YFT on both the 50wlrs and 30wlrs. The largest I've landed was 133lbs on the 30wlrs. The smaller reel is easier to handle and performed great. I would go with one big enough but not overkill. I have not checked out the Avet but they seem to be getting some good reports. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I have a couple of Avet 50w reels but have only boated a couple of AJs and big snapper on them. I could barely feel them. Mcgolfer is said to have boated two 40 lb ajs on a double hookup on the avet 50w with no problems.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
it happened and i have witnesses and photo's in gulf coast connections to prove it. i almost got pulled overboard trying to use to much drag to get them in.....rick

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree with these guys. I was talking with someone about this last night. Like Rick said, who needs 40 or even 50lbs of drag. I can't handle more than 30. The new smalled reels have a lot of drag already. For instance. Tiagra 30WLRS 35lbs, Tiburon 30/80 40lbs, Penn 30VSW 35lbs or EX4/02 40lbs. I don't like handling a 50 because they are to big and you really don't need it. You can load your smalled reels with a ton of spectra. In fact, I am considering going with a Tiagra 16. If I have a YFT run 450 yards off he is going to chew through the leader before I am able to get him in anyway.

Pope
www.texasfishreport.com

·
Registered
640 Posts
Argo-

That is exacting the conclusion to the conversation I had last night with my friend. I have seen your picture, I agree. lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tiagra 16

went down to the local shop today and looked at shimano's and I have to say that I am now leaning more and more to getting a tiagra 16. I only wish there was someone localy who had avets. I have to say that the 16 was light and seemed to have the drag needed and then some.

I suppose this is a loaded question but, I only wondered if I decided to drop it down for an aj if it would still have the drag needed to turn em.

I am in the whole smaller reel smaller diameter line fishing school of thought. I decided I definetly dont need a 50 as id like to be able to use it for extended amounts of time :p

-AK

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I could pull that off Id definetly do it but I suspect my wifes closet would have a few extra pairs of shoes when I returned from a trip.

-AK

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
If you get a big AJ, there is no way a 16 would work for you, especially around a rig. I have had them take my 6/0 on full drag and break me off. 6/0 does not have as much drag as a 50 and maybe a little more than a 30. I had my drag origionally set at 23lbs with 60 lb line and tightened it further. 16 would be good for tuna cause you are closer to the surface and not too close to mid level structure like a rig has. I would go with a 30 for just a little more drag. My wife has like 100+ pairs of shoes BTW, I am sure McGolfers wives have had bus loads of shoes....lol

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I have not used a 16, but from what I have seen it would be hard for it to stop an AJ of any size up close to a rig. If you want to lean towards a smaller reel than a 50 the Avet 4/0 2speed would fit the bill prefectly. The last time I looked it was only $319. It can apply a ton of drag and still have a super free, free spool.

I doubt you'd be disappointed in the reel performance!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I always like the wide versions 4/0W 2 speed avet w/ reelskin & line is $349 on www.charkbait.com free shipping. Plenty of drag and nice color selection. I like the blue ones. CaptC and I are what earl refers to as Avetites.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been thinking that i'd like to keep them as small as possible and still land ->most<- fish. I know thats up for a judgement call.

I was originally leaning heavily toward the avet ex4/0 but, for some reason I keep seeing some strange reviews/problems associated with them looks like most are solved by the mfg. but, that doesnt help much 100 miles from the beach trying to fish.
I dont know if these issues have been fixed in new models or not or honestly what to think but the general writings about them have been on both sides of the scale... from "best thing since sliced bread" to "use it as a boat anchor thats all its good for" I generally dont listen to "reviews" too much but being a new mfg. I thought it would be reasonable to at least look them up.
For a good laugh go to allcoast and search on avet. for what its worth the data I can find about the tiagra 16 and ex40 says that both have a max drag setting of 30ish can anyone confirm or deny that?

thanks for all the help guys

-AK

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
It is closer in comparison to the shimano 30W 2 speed. I have used and like shimano but I also like avet just as much but avet is made in the usa and has some pretty colors. That is why I choose them now. I also like Chaos rods or cape fear. I dont know where they wrap the cape fears but Chaos is made in Fl. and they are some very friendly ppl with a good rod at a good price.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thx argo. i noticed that too but, it looks like the narrow ex compares nicely to the 16. in every way it would seem. grandpa always said if it loks to good to be true it prolly is. :)

-AK

1 - 20 of 27 Posts