2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mont,

More than 3 weeks ago I made an appointment, with the A/C Company I have used for the past 25 years, the appointment was for this morning. I need the evaporator replaced, I've known that since last summer when they serviced and cleaned the coil, then informed me the coil was worn out. Maybe another year of service at best, they said. Cost would be about a thousand.
The company calls this morning at 7:30 and tells me I will have to replace the furnace also, because a new law went into effect this past Janurary. It mandates much larger evaporator coils than were used in the past. The new size coil will not fit within the old coil space above the furnace.
I'm not really prepaired for the $ 1700. in additional cost, at this very moment. I could have been, given the above mentioned 3 weeks notice.
Having been aware of this in advance, say yesterday at the latest. I would not have taken off work today w/o pay to be home for that appointment, I have now canceled. Insult added to injured coil.

So, is there a new Law ?

Thanks !

rk

·
Registered
584 Posts
New units do need to be 13 seer or greater,but that shouldn't affect your furnace.They can make that new coil work with that furnace with the right transition or make one with ductboard.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It sounds like you have an upflow unit,in that case you do need the coil to butt up to the furnace.No transition needed for that application.I would pm Monte and see if he can find a new coil to fit that furnace.

·
Administrator
23,852 Posts
the new coils are growing in size, and the new furnaces are shrinking. The whole package remains about the same over all though. What you are going to have to find is a dealer with a short enough coil to fit in the space you have to work with. Is this the downstairs unit at your house?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mont,

Only one unit for the house, located in a half closet. My preferance would be to move the furnace, evaperator, and blower fan into the attic. All of this presently located just outside master bedroom in the short hall, the outside unit is just outside of same bedroom window. The system sounds like an F-4 Phantom when it comes on, always has.

Thanks ! Mont

rk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The attic is accessable through a door in the upstairs half bath. Most of the attic is decked over to the upper part of the units.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm....idiots, smoke and mirrors

Tell those guys to go jump in the lake!!! However if your furnace is over 15 years old you might consider yanking it and getting a new one since it will likely have to be pulled to change the coil out, I would at least have the exchanger looked at before stuffing it back in there. The new law is a 13 seer minimum efficiency but the furnaces are still about the same size they have been for 20 years. Also be sure to match the new coil as best as you can (brand) with the outdoor unit and I would get one with an expansion valve as opposed to a fixed orifice metering device. Since it wasnt made clear above what exactly is the problem with your coil?? Leak, rusted pan or is it just dirty?? You may not even need a coil.

QUOTE=Rick Kersey]Mont,

More than 3 weeks ago I made an appointment, with the A/C Company I have used for the past 25 years, the appointment was for this morning. I need the evaporator replaced, I've known that since last summer when they serviced and cleaned the coil, then informed me the coil was worn out. Maybe another year of service at best, they said. Cost would be about a thousand.
The company calls this morning at 7:30 and tells me I will have to replace the furnace also, because a new law went into effect this past Janurary. It mandates much larger evaporator coils than were used in the past. The new size coil will not fit within the old coil space above the furnace.
I'm not really prepaired for the $ 1700. in additional cost, at this very moment. I could have been, given the above mentioned 3 weeks notice.
Having been aware of this in advance, say yesterday at the latest. I would not have taken off work today w/o pay to be home for that appointment, I have now canceled. Insult added to injured coil.

So, is there a new Law ?

Thanks !

rk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't this ironic ?

I just went out to the mail box and walked back in with my jaw agape, and a Weeks Service Company A/C Tune - Up Special Offer in hand.

I looked up and down both sides of the street, you were well hidden Mont.

pm on the way

rk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts