2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 15 year old Trane A/C (older style compressor vs Scroll) in my house. It works ok as is, but after storm it put a large load on my home natural gas generator which is 15K or 13K on natural gas. It runs my a/c fine, but during the day, between cycles, my a/c isn't off long enough for it to equalize and boggs down with the generator. Since my a/c is 15 years old, I am contemplating a new a/c unit. I was advised to get a new 4 ton (I currently have 4 ton) with a 2 speed compressor. The a/c man told me it starts up as a 2 ton unit and when needed, it speeds up to the 4 ton a/c and will make start up spikes much easier on my generator and has a super high SEER. Just wondering, if anyone has a 2 speed unit and is it work the extra cost that is bound to be charged for this unit? Any pros and cons? I don't want to buy a new generator and want as high efficiency as I can afford vs keeping a higher tonnage unit and change out my generator. My generator worked fine for almost 2 weeks but did have problem starting my a/c unit a few times during hot time of day due to heavy cycling. I was also told that any new Scroll compressor pulls much less amps starting up than my current unit and should also work with same size unit I am using now.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My 5KW generator was starting my 3 1/2 ton A/C. I do have a kick start kit on my A/C though. Something to think about... A larger capacitor or kick start kit will make your A/C easier to start.
I am not an A/C pro and you would definately need to get better information than I am giving... :smile:

Mont would be a good person to ask.

·
3,809 Posts
slip knot said:
I currently have a 15 year old Trane A/C (older style compressor vs Scroll) in my house. It works ok as is, but after storm it put a large load on my home natural gas generator which is 15K or 13K on natural gas. It runs my a/c fine, but during the day, between cycles, my a/c isn't off long enough for it to equalize and boggs down with the generator. Since my a/c is 15 years old, I am contemplating a new a/c unit. I was advised to get a new 4 ton (I currently have 4 ton) with a 2 speed compressor. The a/c man told me it starts up as a 2 ton unit and when needed, it speeds up to the 4 ton a/c and will make start up spikes much easier on my generator and has a super high SEER. Just wondering, if anyone has a 2 speed unit and is it work the extra cost that is bound to be charged for this unit? Any pros and cons? I don't want to buy a new generator and want as high efficiency as I can afford vs keeping a higher tonnage unit and change out my generator. My generator worked fine for almost 2 weeks but did have problem starting my a/c unit a few times during hot time of day due to heavy cycling. I was also told that any new Scroll compressor pulls much less amps starting up than my current unit and should also work with same size unit I am using now.
Any new 4 Ton Condenser with a Scroll Compressor ( and a Hard Start Kit ) will do just fine with the generator you have.... the higher the seer rating the cheeper it will cost to run ( less amps ).

Two speed condensers are usually part of systems installed all at once and are the least expensive to operate. They also ( if installed properly ) give you the best humidity control..

I hope this helps....

Good luck,

MB

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I currently have a 15 year old Trane A/C (older style compressor vs Scroll)
He's got a piston compressor. Read his post closely. We exchanged PM's and I bet his start relay contact points are bad and have stressed the start capacitor. Cheers my friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts