2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cut Em!
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally quit looking for a used 3.5 inch gun and just went out and bought a new one.let me start off by saying that ive been shooting a borrowed nova and i just dont like the way it feels or shoots. im a shorter guy and it just seems too bulky and its like im reaching all the time :eek:hwell:. i wound up buying the remington 870 supermag waterfowl over the 835 mossberg camo. the 870 just felt better. what i didnt pay alot of attention to was their weights,the mossy being on a 10 ga frame and the remy being on a normal 870 frame. let me tell you what, i went and patterned that thing today with 3.5 bbs running out the barrel @ 1550 fps...what an *** whoopin :p...wasnt down on the gun like i should have been so it jumped up and hit me in the cheek pretty good. after that you think i would have learned my lesson..naa. second shot the trigger gaurd come back and put a knot on my middle finger.i probably should have cleaned my hands free of gun oil before i shot it :rolleyes:. all in all it patterned really well with the factory mod tube, dead center and about 3 inches high @ 40 yards with plenty of shot in a 2.5 foot circle. i ran a box of shells through it and didnt have any of the issues you read so much about :doowapsta. i think alot of it has to do with cheap shells, short shucking, and working the gun like a puss.maybe there was an issue with the first runs of the supermags :eek:hwell:? mines a new model with the newer styled fore stock, more of a sloping angle cut on the rear of it. i am very pleased with my new goose swatter too bad i wasnt out there today knocken em down, but i wanted to field test it before taking it on a hunt. gonna get out there a few times this weekend though and if it gets half as much meat on the business end of this thing as it does on the one shooting it ill be giving away birds for a month..lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
finally quit looking for a used 3.5 inch gun and just went out and bought a new one.let me start off by saying that ive been shooting a borrowed nova and i just dont like the way it feels or shoots. im a shorter guy and it just seems too bulky and its like im reaching all the time :eek:hwell:. i wound up buying the remington 870 supermag waterfowl over the 835 mossberg camo. the 870 just felt better. what i didnt pay alot of attention to was their weights,the mossy being on a 10 ga frame and the remy being on a normal 870 frame. let me tell you what, i went and patterned that thing today with 3.5 bbs running out the barrel @ 1550 fps...what an *** whoopin :p...wasnt down on the gun like i should have been so it jumped up and hit me in the cheek pretty good. after that you think i would have learned my lesson..naa. second shot the trigger gaurd come back and put a knot on my middle finger.i probably should have cleaned my hands free of gun oil before i shot it :rolleyes:. all in all it patterned really well with the factory mod tube, dead center and about 3 inches high @ 40 yards with plenty of shot in a 2.5 foot circle. i ran a box of shells through it and didnt have any of the issues you read so much about :doowapsta. i think alot of it has to do with cheap shells, short shucking, and working the gun like a puss.maybe there was an issue with the first runs of the supermags :eek:hwell:? mines a new model with the newer styled fore stock, more of a sloping angle cut on the rear of it. i am very pleased with my new goose swatter too bad i wasnt out there today knocken em down, but i wanted to field test it before taking it on a hunt. gonna get out there a few times this weekend though and if it gets half as much meat on the business end of this thing as it does on the one shooting it ill be giving away birds for a month..lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I hope you do good with it. I expect they have cleaned up some of the worst problems with the original guns, the most widespread being the rough chambers. Not much to be done about that SOB whacking you though. The first big (over 40) goose hunt I ran with mine had my ears ringing and my head pounding after a box and a half. I walked back to the trailer and retrieved my 10 ga. Marlin Super Goose and finished the hunt feeling like I was being pushed by Eric Winston instead of being jabbed by George Foreman every shot.

A note of caution. If you think the 3.5" BBs is bad, Never, Ever Ever even THINK about shooting one of the big lead turkey loads with like 3oz of shot out of it. If you're backs against a tree it could break ****.

·
Cut Em!
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how bout that for coincidence...i have a marlin original super goose 10 also, my grandfather gave it to me it swats em out of the air like no other, but man is it heavy...reminds me of a howitzer every time i shoot it , lol. i used to shoot my 20ga @ ducks and let the ole goose out of the bag for pass shooting geese. i wanted to go to a single gun that could do it all so i got this supermag. im not sure as of yet if im still not gonna carry the super goose though...lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
I second the caution on heavy turkey loads. They put out a wallop. But you don't have to worry about a 40-45 yard shot on a big old tom.

·
Life's a garden, gotta dig it.
33 Posts
Good choice. I have a 870 Super Mag that i hunted heavily with for 4 or 5 seasons. Very tough gun, eventually had to have it sand blasted and painted it again but it kept on rollin. It definitely would hang up tho, about once every hunt id have to bang the stock on the seat of the blind to make it cycle. Good to hear they fixed that problem. That was the only con of the gun. Good luck on future hunts!

·
Cut Em!
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they say the hang up problem was rough bores in the barrels where the brass fits. mine was smooth as glass and saw no need to polish it out. we'll find out tomorrow, were gonna go pass shoot a roost thats holding alot of birds in the morning

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought mine about nine years ago and I got the turkey model with the 24'' barrel. I'm not a big guy either 5'7'' 140 pounds, but I love my super mag. I shoot doves, turkey, ducks, geese, and it doesn't bother me. It only hangs up when I try to shoot old shells that have rough spots on the brass. Congratulations on a great gun.

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
I loved my original 870 that only shot up to 3". But after owning the supermag (for a short time) I turned to the Nova and never looked back. Love my SP10 for the geese though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts