2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you heard that. I've heard it all my life and this evening I did it, right at last light, while he was running a doe. You guessed it....major ground shrinkage. He's an 8pt. (5x3) and all of 13" wide. I'm really disappointed in myself. I had passed on this buck several times already.

Now keep in mind, I'm hunting on 80 acres that's surrounded by other small parcels. There's not a lot of age in this herd. Trophies are subjective depending on where you hunt. What really hacks me is that I passed on an older, much larger 8pt on opening morning. Oh well, it's meat in the freezer. Now I'll focus on a big mature buck and does. I'll post a pic tomorrow once I get some light.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Dont be down on yourself......I am sure today was not quite as fun....lesson learned

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
Shame on you. Send me a back strap.....sorry, too greedy, send me a front shoulder. J/K. Buddy of mine hooked me up this weekend with some rabbits and some shoulders.

Several years ago, in a foggy drizzeling rain, walking to my stand at first light, I saw and I shot the biggest cull 6 point ever (spike on one side and 3 point on the other).

Buck fever is still live and well.

·
Deadeye McGee
3,312 Posts
[I only judge doe's from behind, the wider the better. rs]

I HOPE THIS IS NOT YOUR SAME PHILOSOPHY FOR HUMAN DOES!!! PERSONALLY, FOR HUMAN DOES MINE IS JUST THE OPPOSITE! OH, BUT THE WIDER THE BETTER COOKER!!! WHAT THE HECK, I CAN COOK!!!

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
I did it this year.. sometimes its hard not to catch "buck fever" its not all about the horns, but the experience, the meat, and enjoying the god given outdoors.. Their will be another monster around the corner, no need to fret.. we all do/did it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts