2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a person who never uses top waters, but have been reading all about them on here and figured that I better give them a try. Can anyone recommend their personal favorites? I typicalyl fish around Galveston and Surfside. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
what catch 5 said.

Just go look and see what you like. the three listed above will all be a little different.

I would just buy one and see what ya think. I have quite a few tops, but I either throw a white one, or a black one, or a natural pattern one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I like Mirrolure's. In your area, the pink colors seem to be the favorite. I used a Hot Pink Top Dog Jr in Kemah during prefishing. I was in Swan Lake on Friday and they seemed to be really aggressive towards the Hot Pink top/bottom w/silver side over the bone/silver or black/silver.

Most all top waters will work, just match the size to the bait that is in the area. If the fish seem to be busting on the small bait, go to the smaller size and then visa-versa. Good Luck!

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,656 Posts
catch 5 said:
Mirrolure She dogs
Heddon Super Spook
Rapala Skiterwalker

Those are my favs
Mine too.

Super spook is my go to lure (for Galveston - red/white and the pin pearch).

The small skitterwalks are awesome as well. The little bream color is great for reds.

Big Skitter in the trout pattern

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
brazosdude said:
dont forget about the spook jr.... its a killer 2...Dont worry about the color, presentation is the key.
Yes, the Chromanator (chrome Super Spook Jr.) has been my go to lure this summer.
Like he says; see the mullet, be the mullet! LMAO

·
Registered
100 Posts
Team Castaway said:
I like Mirrolure's. In your area, the pink colors seem to be the favorite. I used a Hot Pink Top Dog Jr in Kemah during prefishing. I was in Swan Lake on Friday and they seemed to be really aggressive towards the Hot Pink top/bottom w/silver side over the bone/silver or black/silver.

Most all top waters will work, just match the size to the bait that is in the area. If the fish seem to be busting on the small bait, go to the smaller size and then visa-versa. Good Luck!
Really good advise!! Match the bait as best you can.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Try a super spook jr.clown or bone, pink skitterwalk and pearl skitterwalk them four and you wont need any others.I wish someone had told me this along time of go and I would have some money saved and some more space for plastics.lol

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
Bone/silver/bone She Dog....Clown SS Jr...Chrome/blue back or black back SS or SS Jr Those will get the job done also!

For night wading try a White or Pearl Skitter Walk!Ruddy Grigar aka " The Plugger" was a pioneer in wadefishing on the Texas coast and that was his favorite color for nite wading! IT WORKS!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
this makes life alot easier on me i was on the market thinking about what top waters i should get and color also now that i read this it helps alot

Also i hear that when you first buy a top water you change out the hooks is that true?? if so what hooks to yall change them out with

Thanx

·
Registered
491 Posts
topwaters are the most fun lures to chunk also. Once you catch a few on top, you'll start using them alot more often. Its like crack

·
Registered
188 Posts
Top Water Lures Catch Fish

All top water lures catch fish if you have confindence in them... I read some of the replies and all different colors work, Black/Yellow-she dog and the Renagade Bone is my faverate... Reds and Trout love these two also... Catch 2000 in fall and winter is a hot lure to0.. -small ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts