2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to charter a boat for 6 people on Friday, June 30th. I've found a couple places online, but they're asking around $1200 plus fuel costs, plus 15% gratuity. I don't mind the gratuity, but the rest seems a bit high. I want to leave out of Freeport. Does anybody know a good place to check out? Or if you can charter, please let me know. If nothing else, I guess I'll just have to jump aboard the boat out at Captain Elliot's. But I've been with them 3 times, and have always had the worst luck. The last time I rode with them, I only got 2 keepers. The worst part is that is was 1 less than the person who had the most keepers. 3!! I know it won't always be that bad, but I've never seen anyone haul up anything huge with them.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Look on Matagorda bay.com. Ken Marshall, Dwane Pesek (No Mercy), Amil Kreche, Andrew (Black Hook) area all good captains. They should be a little less expensive. They usually run out about 50 miles. If you can wait untill the mid July, Gulf shrimping season will be open, and that will make your trip a little more diverse.

·
If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
1,246 Posts
I have been taking firemen out for 125 a day per person, I am a fireman also (fort worth). 4 days of fishing for 500.00. They seem to be happy with it. I furnish everything and they just show up and fish. We go all the way out to east breaks and work back in. Fish daylight to dark. Gives me a few hundred dollars a trip to put back into tackle and the boat. We go out with kwik way once a year, they are the best guides I know of for 6 pack. About 1400 a day. POC

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
jaredbassett,

you pay for what you get, you want a cheaper charter you may get a cheap trip. also be sure to ask who ever is taking you if they are fully licensed. (NMFS PERMITS, CAPT. Lic.) the $1200.00 plus fuel is not in any way out of line. The charters that are taking out people with out proper permits will SOON find out how much the fines really are.

·
Registered
414 Posts
StarlinMarlin said:
Look on Matagorda bay.com. Ken Marshall, Dwane Pesek (No Mercy), Amil Kreche, Andrew (Black Hook) area all good captains. They should be a little less expensive. They usually run out about 50 miles. If you can wait untill the mid July, Gulf shrimping season will be open, and that will make your trip a little more diverse.
Emil is now the owner of a 31 Oceanmaster. From what he told me the other day, he too will got to a flat rate plus fuel. It's just the nature of the beast these days with fuel being so high. I will say if you want to make a meat hual this man will definately load the boat.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have to disagree with Angler1. When fuel was 2.50 gallon a full priced trip was $1200 all fuel included. So now a trip is $1200 and you pay the fuel? I run my own boat but guarantee you that paying more doesn't guarantee you more fish. I see the proof at the dock all the time. As a customer, I don't think you care whether the boat is permitted or not. With the memoratorium on permits some pretty lame charters have permits and some very good ones do not.

My advise is to hook up with a private boat and "share expenses" if you can't afford a $1800 trip. I'm sure you could get a trip 60 miles for $150 person or so.

·
If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
1,246 Posts
I know you can get it for 125.00 cause thats what I charge. It gives me enough to maintain everything pretty well. That includes everything bait, ice, tackle, fuel. Fish from daylight to dark.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Tall1fin,

So if you don't care if a boat is permitted or not would you go out on a illegal charter? Seems to me there is a major concern of the snapper population. i think everybody is on the commerical guys what about the charters taking snappers without the proper permits. thats illegal and hurting the snapper population.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jared, that's what the charters are running these days. A few years ago they were $850 and fuel was included.
if you want to really get your $1200 worth, convince your guys to make the trip to Venice and catch Yellowifin and wahoo and have a true shot at a marlin and on the way home catch 50lb Aj's. Best $1200 I ever spent. fishing

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Thanks everyone!!! You guys are awesome! I got a couple calls out and a few emails. And with your insight I've been able to get a couple of good prices and a lot of great information.
Thanks again

·
Registered
746 Posts
Every snapper the leaves the water hurts the population....doesn't matter who takes it. Every snapper you and I take contributes to the problem just as much as a charter without a permit or the guys selling numbers of sow holes. This issue is all about money. The best thing that happened to those with permits was the moratorium.......they all made a quick $10k. Yes, I would go on an non permitted charter but I would not waste too much time fishing for small snapper.

Angler 1 said:
Tall1fin,

So if you don't care if a boat is permitted or not would you go out on a illegal charter? Seems to me there is a major concern of the snapper population. i think everybody is on the commerical guys what about the charters taking snappers without the proper permits. thats illegal and hurting the snapper population.

·
Banned
68 Posts
jaredbassett said:
I need to charter a boat for 6 people on Friday, June 30th. I've found a couple places online, but they're asking around $1200 plus fuel costs, plus 15% gratuity. I don't mind the gratuity, but the rest seems a bit high. I want to leave out of Freeport. Does anybody know a good place to check out? Or if you can charter, please let me know. If nothing else, I guess I'll just have to jump aboard the boat out at Captain Elliot's. But I've been with them 3 times, and have always had the worst luck. The last time I rode with them, I only got 2 keepers. The worst part is that is was 1 less than the person who had the most keepers. 3!! I know it won't always be that bad, but I've never seen anyone haul up anything huge with them.
My experiance has been that there smaller boats (cool sea, easy come easy go, blue fin, and lady anna) are great I always fill my limits. There is a deck hand on the Anna, Josh he's only 21 and a great fisherman If you ask(slip him a 20) he will make sure you know exactly were to fish. The 20 is not standared but I always do this and He helps everyone the same but I know he and they work very hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.