2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and i recently purcahsed a boat with the intentions of doing a little fishing and cruising around on the weekends. I am getting frustrated because I am not catching very many fish and I looking for some advice.

I took my sister out on it for its first saltwater trip Sunday (7-22). We woke up late and got a late start and finally made it down to the water by about 10:30. We left Siever's cut and headed to the north shoreline around moody and bull shoals. The water temp was 86 and we were in 8 feet of water. She was chunking live shrimp and I was working paddle tails. There was a ton of bait around moodys and fish were everywhere. We were skunked and could not buy a bite. The heat pushed us off the water around 2:00.

When does the bite typically shut down and what is the best manner to work live bait? I am trying to locate fish and get a bite. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

I think my main problem was getting there way too late and leaving too early. Does live shrimp work this time of year or do you have to pony up for croaker?

Please let me know what you have found to work this time of year. I am getting discouraged because I spent a pretty penny on a boat and have yet to catch a fish out it. I have wadefished from walk in spots with limited success but now the whole bay is open to me and I am a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to talking with guys.

·
15,098 Posts
10 % of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.........
Summer is the hardest time for success..
Theres tons of bait and fish can eat at their ready...
The jetties is a good bet this time of year...
Get a guide a few times....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Redfishr. I have thought about getting a guide but I would like to find one that would go on my boat and let me use my GPS.

I am trying to figure out what the 10% do that makes the difference.

I think I was fishing at the wrong times and I only get to go on the weekends when my wife gives the okay.

Any ideas on how to improve my chances with how little I get on the water?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have to key in on tidal movement and feed times... If your fishing with little or no water movement your going to struggle regardless of whether your in a good area or not.

Pay attention to bait and slicks... and set up your drift or wade according. Don't give up...Whether you caught a limit or skunked you always learn something important. Good Luck

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,998 Posts
Like already mentioned, hire a guide a few times. You will not only learn new spots and techniques but you will probably catch some fish too!!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I think you're fishing a little too late. The heat is brutal mid day. If you look at the boat ramps, most fisherman are at there fishing spots at day break or later in the evening. Usually corresponding to tidal changes. From all the reports, it seems that the jetties are your best bet to hook onto something. During the summer, I like to be at my fishing spots at around 6am or 6pm. If I can't make those times then its just a day cruising the bays with friends.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you fished the fresh end of the bay.too fresh to fish there.if your gonig to fish east aby you have to stay on south shore right now.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think I was fishing at the wrong time. There was very little water movement and it was simply too HOT. We were switching spots really just to run the boat to cool off. We woke up late (I slept cold through the alarm) and had to be back in houston by dinner. There was also a 2.5 hour wait for the ferry. So only fished the heat of the day for about 4 hours.

Does anyone have suggestions for working live bait over reefs or other mid bay structure (rigs or technique)? I try to fish soft platics but everyone I bring on the boat wants to fish live bait. I might start doing it just until I can locate fish more consistently, then switch once the bite is on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i launched on the dike and landed 38 trout that were keepers.there was two of us.the trout were runnung shrimp so hard they were spitting them in our face when we were getting the hook out of them.we only kept 6 of them.didnt want to clean them.kept only enough for dinner.did a little running for them though.we were near the dike

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
The 10%

They are usually the guys that have put in countless hours fishing spots that worked and didn't work.

They have kept logs, both on paper and in their heads. They have several spots that they will try during a trip. If the first "spot" doesn't produce they move to the next spot and so on.

They fish so often that they can "stay on" the fish for the most part. In other words they fish so much that they know where the fish have been and have a darn good idea as to where they will be next.

As for me, I get to go maybe once a week if I'm lucky. Couple that with the fact that I fish a few different bay systems and there is no way I'm going to "stay on" the fish with any regularity. So I just launch and go to spots I have caught fish before. Yesterday evening for example I fished for probably over and hour without a single bump. But I kept with it, kept moving around and kept my eyes peeled for bait, slicks, birds etc.. and finally found some fish. When I find fish in a new spot I mark it on my gps regardless. Those fish are in that spot for a reason and if you come back when all the conditions such as time of year, water temp etc.. are the same, then more than likely there will be fish there again. And with birds, it doesn't have to be a flock with 20 seagulls in it diving like mad. Two or three birds even hanging or floating in a particular spot will merit my attention.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
My dad and I used to strictly fish with a guide and almost all of them would offer seperate classes for fishing the bays. They would basically run you all over the bay with your map and GPS and show you where to fish, what bait to use, and how to fish the baits depending on time of year, weather, tide, etc. I took a couple of these right after I bought my first boat, but that was so long ago I don't have a clue of who the guides were. I'm guessing if you just ask around, there are probably plenty of guides who would be willing to do this for you.

Good Luck
bogan said:
Thanks Redfishr. I have thought about getting a guide but I would like to find one that would go on my boat and let me use my GPS.

I am trying to figure out what the 10% do that makes the difference.

I think I was fishing at the wrong times and I only get to go on the weekends when my wife gives the okay.

Any ideas on how to improve my chances with how little I get on the water?

·
15,098 Posts
Stuart said:
The 10%

They are usually the guys that have put in countless hours fishing spots that worked and didn't work.

They have kept logs, both on paper and in their heads. They have several spots that they will try during a trip. If the first "spot" doesn't produce they move to the next spot and so on.

They fish so often that they can "stay on" the fish for the most part. In other words they fish so much that they know where the fish have been and have a darn good idea as to where they will be next.

As for me, I get to go maybe once a week if I'm lucky. Couple that with the fact that I fish a few different bay systems and there is no way I'm going to "stay on" the fish with any regularity. So I just launch and go to spots I have caught fish before. Yesterday evening for example I fished for probably over and hour without a single bump. But I kept with it, kept moving around and kept my eyes peeled for bait, slicks, birds etc.. and finally found some fish. When I find fish in a new spot I mark it on my gps regardless. Those fish are in that spot for a reason and if you come back when all the conditions such as time of year, water temp etc.. are the same, then more than likely there will be fish there again. And with birds, it doesn't have to be a flock with 20 seagulls in it diving like mad. Two or three birds even hanging or floating in a particular spot will merit my attention.
Well said.......

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
bogan said:
I I only get to go on the weekends when my wife gives the okay. Any ideas on how to improve my chances with how little I get on the water?
1. Change that dynamic. You have to fish the bays when conditions are good in order to have any chance of success.

2. Use live bait. Shrimp are just fine. Croakers are better this time of year, but only a little bit when fished properly.

3. Get a good fishing map and study it. Don't try to learn the whole bay system, but a small portion of it where you intend to do most of your fishing.

4. Get the Wells Fishing Forecast if it's still around. It's remarkably accurate when it comes to predicting the best fishing days and times, especially considering the weather has such an effect. But with anywhere near normal winds, it's going to be pretty close.

5. Get up early. Fish and most other wildlife are most active early and late. If you can't get out early, stay late. Be sure your lights and your GPS work - safety first.

6. Get a good fishing map, like a HOTSPOT, with GPS coordinates and study it. Most of the good "secret" spots in the Galveston Bay System are not secret any more and the well known ones are noted on these maps.

7. Armed with map, forecast, and GPS, PLAN your fishing time, or rather, your fish finding time. Plan your route and hit places that look like they might hold fish (reefs, cuts, marsh drains, etc.,) that are on or nearby your planned route. Watch your depthfinder as much as possible while traveling. If you see uncharted hard bottom, lots of bait, or several fish arches, fish the spot or mark it and fish it on the way back.

The above should help you maximize your effort. If it sounds like a PITA, well, it is, but with your limited time you need to make the most of it.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Great advice Levelwind.

And Bogan, many guides will offer that service. You let them know what you want to learn and where. If you want to take them in your boat, most will do that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts