2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cable is still out and they have no idea when service will be restored. I have a sat dish sched this weekend but wanted some news before hand. I have been to atleast a dozen places in the Tomball and Heights area in Houston and cannot find an antenea.

Any ideas on how I can rig to get local ch's?

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
radio shack, walmart, lowes etc all have em, i have a huge antenna suspended in my attic that works great

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no stock available at all those locations.....

CoastalOutfitters said:
radio shack, walmart, lowes etc all have em, i have a huge antenna suspended in my attic that works great

·
Registered
104 Posts
If your TV is a HDTV.Radio Shack has a antenna for 55.00.I bought one last week. My TV shows a great picture now. You can mount it inside or outside.Tried the ones from Wmart and frys they were not strong enough.I'm not going back with Cable and save that money.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
In a pinch, clamp a small pair of vicegrips or hemostats to one end of coax cable and then run the other end to IN on your TV

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,501 Posts
IF you are fairly close to a broadcast station, try this trick I used when an ice storm (OKC) took out my power and cable last year. I used my cheap kitchen tv, running off a generator, and used about a 6' length of old enamel covered copper wire for an antenna. I just stripped about 3/4" of the insulation off, doubled the stripped end for a friction fit inside the "cable in" on the television. No other connection to the shield (threaded part) was used. The other end of the wire was held in place with a thumbtack high on the side of a door jamb. Just about any light gauge "hookup" wire could be used, mine was 18 gauge solid copper.

My daughter watched network over the air using this method for three nights. -Worth a try because it costs zip........

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Coat Hanger Antenna

I built, and am currently using one of these:

Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna on YouTube

It works as good as, or better than some other antennas I had tried. Only thing is meant for UHF for analog or all the Digital (HDTV) channels, and it is just plain UGLY. At least mine is. Hope this helps.

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
Zach, come on down to the house and I'll loan you a pair! I don't know if you want to driver the 150 mile round trip to get them but you are welcome to mine!

·
Wishin I was Fishin
353 Posts
I bought one from Best buy for 12 bucks on Sunday. Along with a 22" LCD TV. I was afraid to fire up the big plasma while on generator and I needed a new TV for the kitchen ;) The antenna picks up the HD channels nicely.

·
It was on fire when I got here!
200 Posts
Connect coax to your tV-strip about 6 inches of the wire back and fold the cable covering back-solder some 14 guage wire to the end of the wire. Set your tv to air or attenna- you will get local channels. My cable just came on yesterday.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got a gatorade bottle and put a coax cable through it.

I cut the end and stripped back the silver wires back over the bottle

Stripped the copper lead to be exposed about 6"

Put the cap on and wrapped foil around the bottletouching the silver wires

I was only able to receive ch 11 with alot of static.

I guess I live so far out I cant get any ch's

I will try longer cable tonight if I can find any.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts