2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to run some direct burial cable from my garage to my workshop but have no clue what to get or where. I've tried Lowe's, Home Depot and Bay Electric(League City) but none of them carry it.
Looking at online sites there are multiple options it seems and I don't know which to order.
Advice would be much appreciated and if you have a source near League City I'd be grateful.

Bob

·
One Day I will Catch a Keeper?
456 Posts
Call Dealers Electric @ 512-459-5423 talk to Chris Smith. He can tell you the price and where to pick it up locally. Tell him Cornbread sent you and you will get my discount.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cornbread!! I'll give him a ring first thing in the morning. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cable

You can also try Graybar Electric. They have everything you need for telephony. A couple of suggestions. Telephone cable comes in pairs, buy a little more than you need. That way if they go bad, you will have spare pairs. What I mean is if you only need a single pair, buy three pair so you will have two spare pairs. If you are using the cable only for voice, you dont need anything more than 24 gauge, cat 3 twisted pair. It is a lot cheaper than like cat 5. If the cable is exposed above ground and out doors, you really might think about lightining protection on either end as well. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the additional information. I will be using this for a two line voice service connection only and it will all be underground so hopefully no lightning protection will be needed. Of course, my connection box for the main feed line is grounded.

·
non-politically correct
7,305 Posts
Definately use a protector at the house side of the termination and ground the protector. The pedestal or terminal at your starting point should be grounded as well. Be your service buried or ariel you can not over protect yourself or your services.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You should use some surge protection. This cable comes in a 4 pair gel filled cable for direct burial. I have some at the house and your welcome to it if you like. The gel is very sticky so you will need something to clean it off with. They make some stuff for that purpose but lighter fluid works as well as anything. The surge protectors require a ground. I have a few hundred feet, but let me know how much you need and I'll cut you a peice.

·
non-politically correct
7,305 Posts
WD40 or similar silcone based spray takes the "icky" out of 'icky pic" cable and off your hands.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, it was great meeting you Andy (backlash). You have a beautiful home and location. Thank you for your generousity with the cable and I'm sure your wife is pleased to not see it there any longer....;)

Grayfish -- I will be connecting directly to the phone company terminal box (by Siecor) which has 'snap-in' connectors for each line (6 line/connector capacity) with screw terminals. Using this connection do I need an additional box for the lightning protection? Searching Google didn't come up with this box. Or, should I install a new lightning protector box between the company distribution box and my home/workshop lines?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warning FF. Since I have done all the phone/electrical/water line burial on our property I managed to miss everything when running the line. Seriously, I do appreciate the advice and have made a point to keep a drawing updated of everything I have buried over the years.
Got energetic after I picked up the cable from Andy yesterday and managed to finish up before it got dark.
Now I just need to be sure I go with the proper connections on both ends and I'll have phone service in the workshop.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Why would you want a phone in the shop?? I go out to the shop to get away from the phone ................................................and Barb. lol

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep this between us Bobby......lol
I'm setting up a 'home office' out there since my company is relocating our offices in a couple months and I'm too old and set in my ways to get into freeway commuting. And Judy would shoot me after the first week if I tried to set up office in the house. I spent several weeks coming up with a combo of stuff to get a consistent strong wireless signal so next is running the phone service. Some of us still have to work..... :D

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Hummmmm now I get it. You can now charge off all the wood working stuff as work related.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shhhhhh........:D

Grayfish, thanks for the time and discussion on the surge protectors. I'll be getting one this week so hopefully by the end of the week I'll be all set up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts