2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 24-30 foot center console hull to bring back to life. I want to bring back one of the legends from the 70's or 80's, something with sexy lines. I would like to find just the hull so I can slap twin Yamaha four strokes, but a second station tuna tower and fish offshore.

My current eye is set on a '86-'90 Mako 261B, or maybe an old Boston Whaler 26. I was wondering what everyone thought would be the all time best center console from the 70's or early 80's. Its gotta accept twins as I want to go offshore and not worry about an engine malfunction.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Rigged a mako 261 with twin stations. That boat rolled really bad in any sea bigger than 2'. If you want a 2nd sta. find something with lots of beam. Your probably thinking of a whaler 27', there were only a couple 26's built in the late 70's or early 80's I think they were prototypes for the 27. I've only seen 2 of them, one was a flush deck with a cuddy. The other was a full cabin like the 27's were.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are some wider beamed center consoles?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Capt'n, You done stated you'r plan. Get off you'r arse and do it.
Asking is like......."maybe I need to get a second opinion"......,there is fishing.... then there is asking......go fishing! It's on you!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
A big old Dusky or Ocean master ( Ocean masher ) may do the job. Just check out the hull and transom good.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
IMHO a late 80's Mako 261 is quite possibly the best center console to do a restoration with customization. To this day, the 235 and 261 are reviled as one of the nicest riding hulls ever designed!

Break it down, replace/repair the transom (if needed), put a nice transom bracket from Stainless Marine, recess all the deck hardware with pop-ups and such.. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

There is a great website with TONS OF INFORMATION by people who did and are doing just what you are looking to do. Trust me, these guys that already done a Mako restoration have all the answers you could ever want.. http://classicmako.com

Sure Whalers are great boats too, but I wouldn't go with one for what you are looking to do. They older ones always seem to cost too much if you want to do a restoration and that means less money that could have gone towards a nicer GPS or a Radar. The whaler could also be a little tougher customize to your liking. If you decide to go with a Whaler, you can always go to the classic whaler website.. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the documented progress on whichever you go with.

EDIT - One more thing, a Mako can handle a second station no problem, but will have some roll (as will any boat like that).. Just figure out what it is you want from the boat - a smooth ride at higher speed or a slower ride with smooth trolling and idle characteristics?

More deadrise = smoother ride, but more roll at rest/trolling.

Personally, I'd take the faster and smoother ride of a deeper vee over a slower and more pounding ride of a wider beamed and flatter keeled boat. When the WX gets nasty, people usually want to stay to the last minute, but often cannot and that is where the luxury of speed comes in.

As for motors, check out the Verado's.. For a second station, they are ideal since they are electronic shift and control with auto sync and the ability to integrate with GPS, autopilot and radar.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you decide to go with the Mako I know where a mid 80's, 262?, is located that is in excellent condition. T-top, older electronics with Loran and GPS, lots of teak in good condition but needs oil. Kept inside since new. I considered buying her but did not want to do a repower. Motors are Johnson 185's. Owner has a bad back and does not fish anymore.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Ocean Master, There is one for sale At ICM and at the price he's asking you could not buils one for that. twin Yama 4 strokes Tower everything. 1+ inch thick hull. 31' long. 1976 first model first production. perfect condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts