2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Chevy Duramax and I believe a belt is going bad as it is beginning to squeak preety bad driving and at idle. I live in the Richmond, TX area---any place y'all would reccomend taking it and also maybe a ball park on repairs?

Thanks in advance!!

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
It might be a belt, but I'd put my money on the belt tensioner pulley.

Probably $50 for the belt, and another $100 for the pulley. This is for parts only though.

I figure most shops would charge a couple hours for labor. I would expect to pay around $300-$350 for the job.

You could probably do it yourself if you're handy with a wrench though and save the labor costs.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
It might be a belt, but I'd put my money on the belt tensioner pulley.

Probably $50 for the belt, and another $100 for the pulley. This is for parts only though.

I figure most shops would charge a couple hours for labor. I would expect to pay around $300-$350 for the job.

You could probably do it yourself if you're handy with a wrench though and save the labor costs.
I would recommend changing the belt even if it is the pulley going bad.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya know, I did notice quite a bit of noise coming from that pulley dead center under the hood...I'm assuming this is the one you're talking about, right?...what is an average life span of the pulley?...I do have almost 170k on my truck and other than that--she is running strong!...and THANKS!

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
170K is pretty good. Could be one of three pulleys.

There are two pulleys and the belt tensioner pulley. I would pull the belt, and turn the pulley with your hands and see if you can feel resistance in one of them. Chances are, if it's making a squealing noise, you'll figure it out.

I don't remember those little pulleys costing much, might be worth changing them all out, that way you don't have to do it again when they decide to go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the same year model GMC Duramax, and my tensioner pulley went out on me with about the same mileage, had to drive all the way from Elgin to the house-Magnolia without power steering-brakes, can't remember what the cost where but had no choice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$357.50 for the belt, tensioner pulley and another smaller pulley--Fennigan Chevy in Rosenberg---truck sounds MUCH better now--THANKS 2coolers!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts