2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys my friend and myself are going to be heading out to the near shore rigs out of port aransas tuesday morning with a guy that invited us.... would we be better off tying up to the rigs .. or just drifting... we will be using ribbonfish...perch etc... any special techniques or baits that will work better out there ?.... what can we catch ? .... thanks for any info

animal

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Fellow I fish with at the rigs always ties up to one of the four rig footings but a word of caution here..It takes quite a bid for one person to hold the boat close to the footing in the swells while the second person on the bow attempts to throw a rope around the footing to tie the boat off...Probs can be crashing bow of boat on rig footing, being knocked overboard, breaking or smashing a hand, arm or finger, and knocking teeth out while throwing anchor rope around the rig footing..You cannot get your arms around the rig footing...Way to big...Prob is there is nothing else you can tie to on most rigs except the huge round footing..We use ice fish for bait...Catch reds two at a time if you get on the right rig..Have fun and be extra careful...Don't forget cell phone...<G> frank n texas

·
Registered
746 Posts
Bleach bottle tied to a rope.....let go up current and hope it floats thru the legs and pic it up on the other side. It your gonna throw the rope you need a long boat hook to retrieve it otherwise the above risk is very REAL!

George

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I just double the rope over, loop it over something, then when ready to go, untie one end and pull in the other end. When you get it down you can loop from over 10 ft away. and never get too close. Takes good driving skills on capts part and good lasso skills on the hands part.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Tall1fin said:
Bleach bottle tied to a rope.....let go up current and hope it floats thru the legs and pic it up on the other side. It your gonna throw the rope you need a long boat hook to retrieve it otherwise the above risk is very REAL!

George
George, I like your idea! Heck, just motor up to the leg you need, toss that bottle through and back down to the bottle.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
If you are just going to the standpipes, I would drift them or troll if you are looking for kings. Tying off to them limits you a bit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you are going out to the in close rigs like the stand pipes, and if you are going to use ribbons for bait, I would slow troll around the rigs until you find the kings. Down rig a couple, then free line a couple, and put the boat in and out of gear around the rigs. If the kings are there, you will know it pretty quick. If no action go to another rig or possibly a shrimper in the area, though most of those have moved out to deeper waters. If you decide to tie up, let it be at a rig that you found the kings by doing the slow trolling. Follow the advice on the other post if you decide to tie up. It is not getting hooked-up that is the most difficult, it is getting unhooked that problems usually occur!!! Good Luck and be safe!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chunking for Kings

If you tie up, try some chum and chunk pieces of ribbon fish. Freeline one with a hidden hook and hang on. I've had them school up behind the boat in a frenzy. Be sure that the rig is holding fish before wasting too much bait. The drifting boats will come up and drift the slick, so it's a good idea to keep the flatlines short.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys .... ill let you all know how we do

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would but he has never fished the rigs out of port a before.... he dont even have reels to hang with the kings lol ... he is a old welding teacher of mine and we were talking about all the kings they have been catching off the surf...i myself fish for sharks off the surf alot.... but anyway after telling him...he offered a trip on his boat if we did everything for him.. he just wants to hook up on a bigger fish that a gafftop wich he fishes for lol... i just hope i can get him on a couple fish because he is a really nice guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts