2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a business function at the Port Royal Resort and Condominiums this week so we've decided to take the kids and make it a weekend. However, I know nothing about Port Aransas, but, would like to take my 11 year old son on a short fishing trip from shore, beach, pier, something.

My question is:

Does anybody know any decent fishing spots in relation to this place? Any place within a short drive we might try? Would also, appreciate suggestions on tackle, bait, etc. I'm a very experience saltwater fisherman and have most any tackle under the sun (except maybe big shark rods). Just need some suggestions and direction for this area.

Thanks in advance for your help.:whiteshee
Brad

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Follow the same road you took to port royal all the way north in to port A and go down to the Horace Caldwell pieror to the jetties(they are about 1 mile away from one another on the surf side, there should be some stuff in the surf right now you can catch, take some bigger gear with more line capacity though and heavier line due to how high the pier is out of the water. If you want to fish on the bay go to the end of 361 (the road in front of port royal) and take a right, follow that road until it dead ends(next to circle K convenience store and take a left. It will dead end next to a condo complex and there is a fishing pier there that can be pretty productive. Sorry I am not more accurate with my directions but you should be able to find either one

·
Registered
197 Posts
The pier behind the Circle K is called 'Charlie's Pasture', there are always dink Specs under the lights. Lots of fun, especially for a kid! Buy some live shrimp and put them under a popping cork about 2 foot down and you should catch plenty! The jetty is also a good spot. Use a popping cork and a glow DOA shrimp about 2-3 foot down or use live shrimp with the same setup. You should be able to catch Sand trout, Specs, and maybe a Red or two. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Palerider,
A good place to start is just up the road from you. Turn left out of Port Royale about 1 mile down you will see the Seagull/Sandpiper Condos, turn right. There will be a natural boat ramp thatr you will probably see some empty traileres. Keep driving past those all the way back you will find Shamrock Cove. It is a good place for atleast a few keepers and more dinks and rat reds than you can count. Soft plastics will do the job, and of course a tourist rig (shrimp under a popping cork) will keep you in all sorts of fish.
If weather permits, try the first lights on Horace Caldwell at night or just before sun-up. I've caught some of my biggest trout right here and not to mention some nice slot reds. Hope this gives you a start. Good luck and have fun.
Mike

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Palerider,
All good info. above. Charlie's pier is on the road behind the Circle K next to the ferry. Take bug spray and fishbites and fish under one of the lights. He'll have a ball! You also might try the surf w/ the fishbites for whiting. Good luck!

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. If the group of you had to pick one of the places (preferrably not to crowded) to guarantee to get a kid's line tugged, which would it be?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
ok heres my three

Horace Caldwell Pier,Charlie Pasture Pier and Station Street Pier but it doesnt have to be in that order and you could hit Charlies and Station in the same night. Just try and ask around to get a feel, like at Tom and Marrys place(Port A Outfitters) or at Larrys place (cant remeber the name) but it is right near the Subway you cant miss it itll have rods and reel hanging off the front porch that are for rent. Like say just try and get a feel for whats going on and just have fun........................later,DAve

·
Registered
197 Posts
Charlie's Pasture has always been a sure thing for me in the summer at night. It might be a little crowded but it was not the last time I was down 3 weeks ago. Just try to find a light with no one under it, preferrably before the T head, and camp out there. This is the first place I hit when I get into town because I know that I will catch some fish. Good luck.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys Thanks again.

Also, I love surf fishing if the wind is down. Notheing like "Dawn Patrol." Are there any GOTO spots in Port A? Is the beach accessable by car? Hadn't been there in years. Appreciate any other info you guys got.:goldfish:

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Yup the beaches are completely open and my surf advice would be near the jetty or drive south and look for any abrupt deep water drop offs wile rare, proves for teriffic fishing. Call Horace Caldwell peir and see whats been happening there. Well thats my advice for surf fishing.............................later,Dave

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
If He's 11 He's Ready To Pull In A Kingfish.....

if you have enough time , you may want to inquire about doing a 12 hr. trip on one of the offshore headboats. If it's not too rough you both would have a blast. "Scat Cat" is a larger boat but from the "catching" standpoint the Scat Cat hasn't been what it used to in recent years for whatever reason. The Scat Cat is a larger boat with a larger amount of creature comforts; however, the "New Pelican" (and the one moored next to it - the name escapes me) and the "Dolphin Express" are good ones. They are located right along a row to the left as you exit the ferry. e.g., Woody's, Deep Sea Fishing Headquarters, blah, blah, blah. Check 'em out. If your son catches a Blackfin Tuna, you're going to be taking him out there every other weekend. He'll never fish in a lake the rest of his life! LOL!

If you had more time (like 40 or 48 or 64 or 80 hrs. at sea), I would sign up to go out on the "Dolphin." If you sold all the fish you caught when you returned from one of these, you could buy the boat and go out anywhere, anytime you wanted. LOL! Wish I was going. Good luck in any case! ComeFrom?;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might try fishing around the docks right before the boats come in. That way the kids can catch fish and then see bigger fish come off the boats. Hopefully that will get them excited about offshore fishing. My father did that with me when I was young and I will never forget. Not to mention the guy at the Dolphin Docks who fillets the fish is great with kids.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Will probably only have a few hours early morning and in the evenings. (It's a "family" trip) So we'll just try some of the quick inshore spots and maybe the surf. I plan on getting him offshore later this year. He says he wants to try to catch a shark this weekend. Go figure? So, hopefully we can catch a small one in the surf or something. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out..

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the cut and the natural boat ramp just down from Port Royal. But, I didn't know to bring any wading gear, so we were out of luck. Ended up not really fishing. The wind was blowing a gale Saturday anyway. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I'll be at port a thursday and friday wade fishin... if ya wanna swing by........gimme a holla...JJ

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd love to, but, I gotta pack. Moving to Victoria the end of this month. But, maybe another time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts